Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a K4 gixer 750 a few months back and stripped it naked less than four hours of getting it home. I've Always liked the look of naked and streetfighter bikes and couldn't resist starting work on the bike to make it an expression of me. I wish i had taken more pictures and will be sure to take better ones as this project moves forward.

As clean as it looked when i first got it, it became pretty clear as I took off the plastics that it hadn't been cleaned in AGES. There were dead bugs caked in the sprocket cover ffs. So I gave it a quick cleaning and looked it over and thought that it kind of reminded me of toothless from the how to train your dragon movies so i decided on a direction to shoot for.

I did a few quick drop in mods: folding pazzos, rear hugger, front fender, 520 chain and sprokets +1/-2, radiator guard and a new tail fairing.

I rode with that for a while till day before yesterday when my project was started far earlier than I'd have liked. I had an accident with an SUV that was stopped dead over a blind hill. Managed to walk away with nothing more than a sore shoulder, hooray for wearing gear! Got the biked picked up and put back in the garage at home. I can rebuild it. I have the technology. I can make it better than it was. Better, stronger, faster.

The plan is do and 06 r1 tail an subframe swap, replace the front fairing stay and headlights with one from an 08-11 cbr 1000rr, new speedo, new front fender, redo the exhaust to perhaps an underbelly. Going to make a custom leather seat for some much wanted comfort. get a hid projector kit with angel eyes and the like and mount the turn signals inside the headlight assembly. '97 VFR 750 SSSA swap. Funny story there. we were stripping down my friends old bike for parts for another friends fightered '95 katana 600 when it finally clicked that it had a SSSA, near had the engine dropped before I realized what was in front of me.

The search and aquisition of parts has begun, it will likely be a few months but I will be updating as new stuff happens.

hope you guys like it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the well wishes Mightlife! Just got back from a much needed vacation and i cant wait to get started on this build. It's my first bike and first build so it may be slow going at first but ill make it work. The majority of the parts have been ordered and set up the trade for the VFR swinger and Wheels for the ones off the Gixxer. Ill keep things updated as stuff comes in or progress is had!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update time! So I finished stripping the bike down minus the rear swingarm ( gonna suck it up and get the damn sockets this week) and airbox. Will be dropping the engine a little later this week to get it the tank, new rear swing arm and new rims off the VFR and the new upper cowl ready for paint. planning on powder coating the engine with a custom powder coating that I'm developing at work that should be as string if not stronger than bedliner as well as increasing the thermal resistance of the coating and the flaking resistance as well. Planning on doing ceramic coated headers utilizing ceramic microspheres that should insulate better than standard ceramic, but we are still testing that theory. Might do some sculpting on the tank and tail with a composite we made to make it fancy an' shit. Stuff's stupid strong, we made a composite from fiberglass resin that increased the strength at least 3 fold with no signs of stress, we had to stop because the load frame only goes to 10,000psi and we didn't want to break the load frame. Starting to take measurements of brackets that need to be made and getting stuff together to get fabbed in the coming weeks, anyway enough talking time for pictures!

The new headlight and cowl piece, will be cutting it down eventually

The cbr's fairing stay was so close to being a bolt on part :(

Gonna need a fun bracket made up to clean up the gap here and keep the seat in line

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new tail fairings came in and did a quick mock up to check the fit.

then found a deal that i couldnt pass up: Barely used 2012 ducati 848 evo forks complete with brembos and master cylinder.

Time to make 'em fit, queue ghetto fabulous bike lift.

Unfortunatly the top clamp is just barely not able to accept it. So instead of buying one of the race ones im goind to build one in CAD and get it machined.
top diam. 53
offset 30
center fork 207
plan on making a recessed area for the brake resevoir and anther for clutch or usb ports to power random gadgets
if anyone wants id be happy to post the cad files when its done.
Waiting on another spanner socket to drop the engine and get the vfr trailerd to the garage to get the swinger off of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, been a bit since the last update, had a change in pay schedule so things got a bit tight....well the skully preorder didn't help either.... haha well guess ill start where i left off.

During the test fit of the forks i found that the ignition cables had been scratched open, so i cut em off. Looks like ill be getting a keyless RFID

The VFR finally made it to the garage, then cleaned out some official space to finally work on everything. Got the swing arm disconnected from the vfr, the rear shock was absolutely destroyed.

After soaking it in an ocean of pb blaster i got the rear swinger off the gsxr, stuff was on so tight the breaker bar started to bend. Mocked up the vfr swinger on the gsxr and it fit a hell of a lot better than I thought it would.

Might need to shave a few mm off of it to get it true but im not sure, any thoughts guys??

The rear wheel hasn't been adjusted to make sure its centered yet but its rather close.
Think the chain will be alright coming off the swinger there? if it is i plan on making a new rubber running strip for it. Then I'm getting spacers for underneath as the linkage is almost bolt on! :party-smiley: then its on to inspecting the hub itself to make sure everything is kosher. Figured id post up progress on the new triple clamp, haven't had a lot of time to tinker with it but its almost there. The right hole is to mount a mini brembo reservoir and the left is a mount for a 12v to dual usb port for all the extra fun goodies.

Working to get stock and fitment together to mount the subframe and fairing stay in the last week of the month and get a new stem and spacers made to get the swinger officially put together before too much longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been a minute since the last update, but i feel enough has been done to add a post. I had a new Spindle made to center the smaller vfr spindle into the gsxr frame and had a new spacer made to work with the dogbones. I got the subframe tacked together, however it needs to be moved an inch or two to the right to get it back to being relativly straight. The swing arm needs to be machined just a little bit more to create roughly a 1/4" more space to the left to get the wheels aligned and the cut out a portion of the swinger to create shock clearance on the right side and weld in a plate to give it some strength back. Then ill get the spockets aligned and hope for the best. This conversion has been a blast but ill be damned if it hasnt been a pain in the ass every step of the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts