Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a couple people asked, this is what I've been up to.

I heard about Born Free a few years back, and this year about the time the kids started asking about the "next" bike the chance to enter Peoples Champ popped up, and the wife and kids wanted me to jump on it.

At some point its going to become an internet voting thing, so if I ask for help, dont be offended, I'll take all the help I can get, I want to get through to the last stage to get it showed front and center in California in June.

I've never had a Harley, never worked on a Harley for more than minor maintenance, but if I was building one, it was already dead set it needed to be a kick only shovel.
S&S is working with me on a motor, which is insanely cool, and I've got a couple other guys working on bits and pieces along the way that I cant do myself.

Basic game plan if you got through that wall of text is this.

Its a 100% stainless frame. Built everything in house with the kids. The front end is my own design using Fox nitrogen Offroad shocks. Its something I've always wanted to try, and it seemed like the right bike to do it with.
Running a custom spool wheel on the front From Derek Seiber, hes out Ohio way, and built a bike for the Horse magazines ACO last year, and a seriously talented dude. Hes building my triple trees as well.
Tins are planned to be all aluminum. Polished or brushed everything. and no paint anywhere on the bike is the current plan.

I'll throw the pics up though, the explain better than me, and pardon my welds, its been 5 years since I've picked up a TIG, so I'm re-learning right now.

The renderings have changed a few times slightly as things progressed, but I'll put up a bunch of them too so it shows where I'm headed.

www.youtube.com/embed/twYpsFoWgvU

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Love the lower frame drop! This looks like a board tracker on steroids so far, and the little details. If you can get this done by May, you should throw it into the winter build-off!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The air shock idea will be be pretty awesome. I've got a set of radflo's i had stowed up for my jeep :D maybe have to steel them for a bike
I'm hoping so. Only catch is that if they wherent run with a spool hub like I am, there would need to be some kind of a buildup for a brake anchor. Wouldnt be a huge deal though, just some machine work and slide a sleeve over the shaft, weld it to the end.......

They're cheap though, rebuildable, tuneable, and if I want to get really fancy I think I could run them on a compressor and slam it........I like nitrogen and likely wouldnt bother, but it does open some possibilities.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Yeah, oh yeah...

Love how the frame hugs the motor, you don't see that too much on chops...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My boy wasnt happy with the width of the tank so we cut it in half. Then I got worried about the capacity, so we extended it rearward. Got it back up over 3.5 quarts, with the big filter it will be over 4 quarts.
Added some bungs for a sight tube on the front, tomorrow can get sides filled in, and the mounting bungs, and the feed/return line bungs. Then I can clean up the crap welds from the dirt material and polish this thing up.
I do like the lines and the seating position though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Made the filler for the oil tank. Cant cut threads on the lathe, so went with what I can do.
Made it to accept the same plug as my stash tube, because nothing sucks worse than losing a cap.....Thinking I might make the gas caps the same and just use Buna O-rings. Oil and gas caps will be brass though, need to pick up a knurler so I can put some grip on them. Working on redoing all my questionable welds too. Feeling a whole lot less rusty with the TIG today.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
looking awesome. What lathe do you use? ive been looking at them for a while now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some shitty old English one. Cant cut threads and the power feed doesnt work because its missing bits, and the bearings and shit are starting to go, but it works all right........I've had it about 6 years, and it came with a ton of tooling for about $800, so it doesnt really owe me anything, and when the kids get a ltitle rough with it I dont worry.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got my oil tank almost done, just need to add the bungs and fix a couple welds. Picture makes it look like shit, but I wanted to throw a little polish at it and see if I liked it that way or wanted to go brushed.
Derek also posted up he's working on my trees, stoked to see them coming to life. If you're on Instagram, go follow him. He's a seriously skilled guy.

http://instagram.com/derekseiber

1 - 20 of 92 Posts