Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm not a huge batman fan (he's cool don't get me wrong), I just had to think of something to call it. Anyways, I got this '90 600 Katana at the beginning of summer as a way to save some gas on the drive in to work. I've loved riding around on it, but as the seasons change I figured it was time to change the bike as well. After classes/homework/labs I like to dink around on the bike and here's what I've got so far. I pretty much use it as a boredom buster, so it won't be nearly as nice as some of the other bikes on here (*cough cough* smoker's bike). Anyways, have a look.

I got the bike in non-running condition. It lacked carbs, fairings, and much of the wiring was jerry-rigged by a blind man with no hands <-- just kidding, but seriously... I fixed it up early spring to ride around. the pictures here are after I took the fairings off and started to disassemble it.

My parents are kind enough to let me drive back and take up their garage to work.

With the covers off, I decided to install a new EBC racing clutch plate kit that I had ordered earlier.

With the covers off, I though I'd stick with my red/black paint scheme and paint them as well to give a bit of an accent. At the same time, as the engine was out of the frame, I thought it a good idea to clean some too.

Now I reinstalled the engine, and put things back together somewhat.

What I'd like to make it look like somewhat is the Ducati Monster S2R. I would like something a bit more aggressive looking then that though. I'm not sure how feasible that is, but I thought i'd be something to aim for, and I'll see where it takes me.

Well that's all folks! (for now) ... I'm always up for suggestions and please let me know if you have any pictures of ideas that may give me some kind of inspiration. I've been browsing the forums for ideas, but let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this past week has been spring break for us in Iowa and I decided it was high-time to go to town on the Kat. After looking through google and other bikes on here I kind of wanted to go with a bike that has an buell x1 tail look and a ducati monster front...

The first thing I started on was the tail. Instead of buying on or hacking one off of an old buell, i went ahead and made one. First things first... strip down the ass-end of the bike.

After cutting some of the frame away and re-welding a little different look to the tail, i started to piece together the new look.

I bondo'ed all of the edges and rough welds to get a smooth finished shape.

Mid-way through the work, the gasket kit and tires from bikebandit.com came!

Next step was to tear the whole thing apart and prep things for painting/maintenance (gasket kit).

Priming/Painting

With everything apart and painted, I let things cure for a couple days (as well as give me time to take a break = bonfire/keg with friends)

Started to put things back together.

Mounted the new tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still workin on getting stuff put back together on it, but I thought i'd post some picts of the exhaust mod I did for it.

My brother's bike is an old '92 FZR600. For some reason, he had 2 Vance and Hines SS exhaust slip ons that I traded my two-brother's Racing can for. I took both and cut/"pasted" them to get the look I wanted for my bike. A simple, yet, in my opinion, elegant under-body exhaust system.

Now... with them installed on the bike! The picture doesn't show it well, but there are two, one on each set of 2 headers, each with the outlet pointed down.

I finally fired up the bike tonight and the exhaust sounds amazing! After sitting outside in the ice/snow all winter and being fully torn apart this spring, the bike started after only cranking 3 times! Now, I know everyone claims it, but I swear to god that the exhaust sounds just like a harley, especially in low-idle. It may not be quite as loud, but it's got that awesome low, throaty growl!

I'm still looking for head-light ideas, as well as tail light. I'm thinkin a single-circle headlight in the front and two side-mounted tail lights, kinda to give it a retro look. Also, I need to figure out a setup for the gauges and a mod for the rear seat. Cheers guys and thanks for lookin!

Give me your ideas!!!!

·
Rides DirtY
526 Posts
looks much better with that tail section and undermuffy! Good job The rims... don't look bad with that color scheme... the gold is a suttle color... You can paint the upper and lower triple tree's the same color as the rims and that would give it a nice balance. I like the idea of two side mound tail lights... now lets see it!

Area's to address:

The fork tubes... maybe another color?

That rear brake lever needs to be painted or hidden... that is the first place my eyes are drawn to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can paint the upper and lower triple tree's the same color as the rims and that would give it a nice balance....

That rear brake lever needs to be painted or hidden... that is the first place my eyes are drawn to.
Very good idea! I hadn't thought of either... I appreciate the input!

·
Flying Squirrel
769 Posts
Reeeeeeeeeeeal nice. I like your 'single round' headlight idea, also. I think it'll tie the theme of the bike together real nice.
-KR

Reactions: Phoebe

·
Flying Squirrel
769 Posts
I'd go black on the fork lowers...you got enough 'red' on that bike.
Just 2 cents, nuttin' more.

-KR

·
Flying Squirrel
769 Posts
:)
Okay, he said it more than me; he wins. Red could be okay, too...or there's 'black'. :) :) :)

-KR

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
I appreciate this man... It's motivating for other noobs to realize that you can fix anything, and build it to your liking...

You got any plans for a front fender? I don't know how much it rains in Iowa, but in florida (when raining, often does) they're useful...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.