Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this roller frame for $100 and an old shotgun i got on trade a while back. The guy who owned it works at cycle specialties in fairfield. One of his customers supposedly paid good money for his motor to use as a replacement for a different katana. so it's still got the harness and cool little bits here and there that can be a pain to find.

He had it setup as a street fighter with a round headlight and fork mounts, plus an old school gs tail mounted up to the stock seat. I like the look so i'll keep it that way for a while.

My original plan was to throw a B12 in it and go, but I don't want to wait to save money and lose out on time to ride and what not. So I picked up a GSX600F motor inside a titled frame that was cut down. No sub frame but still had neck frame rails and some of the harness. picked it up for $250. going tomorrow to pick up a 600 and 750 motor from the guy i bought the roller off of for $100. so 2 bikes may come of this pile-o-parts.

Next step is to get jet kit, carb filters, battery and do lots of wiring. The PO was not the most savvy chap. which is sad as he works in the shop of the moto store. None the less, here are some pics for you fools.

Attachments

G

·
Aaaagh it gets me every time :) you US guys say Katana & I think the real thing ..... big heavy & air cooled, still its a good start you have there

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
I say it gets the 750...;P
Also, are you going to stick with the round headlight?
You should stick with the round headlight.

Nice looking bike.
Except for that fender, lol.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
My first bike was a 89 Katana 600. A good starter bike but definitely not a replacement for the original.

This one looks like a solid base for a build. I wish there were bikes around here like that for $100.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Aaaagh it gets me every time :) you US guys say Katana & I think the real thing ..... big heavy & air cooled, still its a good start you have there
They were called katana in NZ and Australia too.. Both the classic and the teapot.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Kats are great fighter bases, you can't make 'em much uglier, only better. I have a 96 that I've been working on and off on for years.

Do some research, some motors have adjustable valves, regular old lock nut stuf type, some have shims, which and little pieces of metal that go under the rocker and basically look like watch batteries. They can get pricey when it comes time to adjust them, plus a bunch-o-math to figure out what you sizes you need.

I upgraded my 96 kat600 (shim motor) to a 86 gsxr750 (adjustable motor). It took ALOT less time and effort to the job on the adjustable one.

Not saying that the shim is less reliable or anything, just saying if you have the option (being that you have multiple motors) might be nice to save yourself that headache in the future.

If all else fails, go with the one you can get running LOL

G

·
The 600 with the shimmed head was only sold here in the UK for one year so are pretty rare here, the locknut & screw motors are much more common.

All in all there are loads of oil cooled engines out there that fit in any other boiler frame & lots of stuff swaps over across the range right up until the last 1200 bandits, I have a head full of this stuff if anyone needs to know what fits what :)

nOregret5..... I knew that mate my last 600 that I ripped the engine out of for a project was originally made for the Aus market, 599cc, shimmed head & a couple of minor differences to the UK or US market bikes

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I know it's not the real deal katana. But it's good enough.

I was never a fan of the gsx bikes but I love how the motor goes in and comes out. Better than the gsxr frame. Plus it's steel so I have the ability to weld to it as well.

The extra 600 motor has a spun bearing and the 750 apparently dropped a valve. If I can get the 750 motor going without too much work I may just use it.

But right now I'm trying to get my carb parts together. The rack that came with it was missing 2 main jets and the whole choke slider assembly. Fortunately enough I keep all my parts from my old 1100 carbs and I had some replacement pieces. Except for the choke slider.

So now it's kind of a parts grab to get as many missing parts as possible.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And yes definitely sticking with the round headlight. It's fitted and kinda wired correctly so it stays.

But just picked up the motors and the 600 is missing a ton of parts. Still has the head, but otherwise missing the covers, oil pan, shift forks and some other stuff. Haven't taken good inventory yet since they're still in my truck.

The 750 is full in one piece, just had some bent valves. Piston still supposedly in one piece. Will have to double check that.

·
1,562 Posts
But right now I'm trying to get my carb parts together. The rack that came with it was missing 2 main jets and the whole choke slider assembly. Fortunately enough I keep all my parts from my old 1100 carbs and I had some replacement pieces. Except for the choke slider.

So now it's kind of a parts grab to get as many missing parts as possible.
Alot of the Kats came with a separate choke cable that was attached to the left hand bar control. So some didn't have the regular old knob attached to the carbs. It is possbile to convert from one to another, but might not be worth the while, especially if you can find a garbage set to rob parts from.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh no it's actually missing the slide that connects to each choke knob in each carb that pulls it out as one. I have the cable for the choke, but I honestly may just convert it to manual choke with a knob on the side of the rack.

·
1,562 Posts
Oh no it's actually missing the slide that connects to each choke knob in each carb that pulls it out as one. I have the cable for the choke, but I honestly may just convert it to manual choke with a knob on the side of the rack.
FWIW, figure out what you want to do with fairings or anything on the side first. I've actually had a friend convert to knob, then want something right where that knob went, so he had to convert back.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I'm not sure at this point. But the carbs themselves are junk. There are holes in the portion above the Venturi that brings in air to help pressurize the diaphragm. I've seen it before on a set of bst36's that I had and I had to change out the carb body. 3 of the 4 on the rack have holes in them. I could JB weld them and go from there, but last time I did it the JB weld for whatever reason didn't stay put. So I need a new set of carbs anyway.

Also. The 2 motors I picked up, were both 600. Not one was a 750 as I was told. Pulled the valve cover off the good motor that only dropped a valve, and the keeper cap was lodged inbetween the timing chain and crank. Can't pull the head off because the head has the chain guide on it and it's all smashed so tightly together I can't get it off. But thinking about it now, the damn thing may still be in gear and that's why I couldn't get the crank to turn either way. Duh.

So the only good news I have is it looks like my good 600 in the bike may still be good as it still has all the original gaskets on the side covers. But it's bone dry. So hopefully no bearing issues lol. I'll pull the valve cover off maybe this weekend. Not sure. Pretty put down right now. Carbs are ridiculously expensive.

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Carbs are ridiculously expensive.
+1
The carbs for my bike cost me more than the actual bike did, if I remember correctly.

Also, shame about both motors being 600s.
And not thinking about it being in gear sounds like something I would do.
Good luck... I have my fingers crossed that the good 600 is good.

G

·
Which carbs do you have ? If they are the old 31's or even the oddball 33's they were junk new

These run better on bandit 600 32's which are pretty cheap as there are plenty around, rebuild kits & parts tend to be cheaper too.

·
1,562 Posts
I'd say ID for sure what carbs you have, and find some other bikes that came with the same carbs. Might broaden your search and give you better results as far as finding parts. If all else fails, it's really a glorified piece of flat stock, if you are decent at fab. But I would think you could find one for 10-20 bucks somewhere.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah seems these guys think they're worth gold around here. I just don't understand why. But I know the junkyard guys got a bus full of carbs. I'll take some pics of it when I get down there. It's more of a graveyard than anything unfortunately. But he's got 4 buses, all filled with carbs. Pretty wild.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts