Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Katana Fighter

9K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  Andler2008 
Kats are great fighter bases, you can't make 'em much uglier, only better. I have a 96 that I've been working on and off on for years.

Do some research, some motors have adjustable valves, regular old lock nut stuf type, some have shims, which and little pieces of metal that go under the rocker and basically look like watch batteries. They can get pricey when it comes time to adjust them, plus a bunch-o-math to figure out what you sizes you need.

I upgraded my 96 kat600 (shim motor) to a 86 gsxr750 (adjustable motor). It took ALOT less time and effort to the job on the adjustable one.

Not saying that the shim is less reliable or anything, just saying if you have the option (being that you have multiple motors) might be nice to save yourself that headache in the future.

If all else fails, go with the one you can get running LOL

But right now I'm trying to get my carb parts together. The rack that came with it was missing 2 main jets and the whole choke slider assembly. Fortunately enough I keep all my parts from my old 1100 carbs and I had some replacement pieces. Except for the choke slider.

So now it's kind of a parts grab to get as many missing parts as possible.
Alot of the Kats came with a separate choke cable that was attached to the left hand bar control. So some didn't have the regular old knob attached to the carbs. It is possbile to convert from one to another, but might not be worth the while, especially if you can find a garbage set to rob parts from.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Oh no it's actually missing the slide that connects to each choke knob in each carb that pulls it out as one. I have the cable for the choke, but I honestly may just convert it to manual choke with a knob on the side of the rack.
FWIW, figure out what you want to do with fairings or anything on the side first. I've actually had a friend convert to knob, then want something right where that knob went, so he had to convert back.

I'd say ID for sure what carbs you have, and find some other bikes that came with the same carbs. Might broaden your search and give you better results as far as finding parts. If all else fails, it's really a glorified piece of flat stock, if you are decent at fab. But I would think you could find one for 10-20 bucks somewhere.

Damn, wish there was one bus around here. Keep an eye out for any flatslides while your in the buses, you'll fund your project well if you nab the right ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.