Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads,

Short presentation:

About 2 and a half years ago I sold my bike to buy a car (sv650 k4). One year passed and I needed a project, and found this 1997 Volty 250.

Mainly it is the same base as the GN250 but it has a cafe look by default.

Anyway, it started, sounded nice but everything else was not in the best shape.

- Rust on the some frame rails,
- Busted headlight bucket
- Some dings on the fuel tank
- A lot of dirt everywhere
- Some sketchy soldered wires and so on.

The initial plan was to clean it and use it as it is...but where is the fun in that?

2nd plan, that I am following right now - was to shave some weight from it...about 20 kilos or so and to create a nice city tracker that I can commute. The actual weight of this bike is about 127 kilos. I think I can get it under 115 without effort, bu the goal is to shave 20 kilograms.

This bike will probably be a hipster's dream.

Anyway, let's upload some pictures so you can catch up with the current state of the build. :party-smiley:

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyway...instead fixing each of this electric gremlins, took down the entire electric harness, removed the old wrap, resoldered connections, re-wrapped it...Hope it will work when I'll put everything back together.

This was the result.

Because we're talking about electrics...I decided to build my own tail light. Went to a store and found some aluminum tubings for stairs. Bought some of these, added some scrap aluminum I had laying around the "shop", cut a round lens out of a wrecked tail light, added the electric system of a chinese tail light and got this:

·
Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
It's hand crafted, it's not supposed to look like machine made.

That little thing is just screaming for clipons and a fiberglass humpback cafe single seat

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both for your kind words. I will add some more pictures soon. The build is getting pretty advanced since the frame is being modified. I don't like the flimsy engine and footpegs mounts. The stock ones were made out of chinesium steel probably, about 3.5 - 4 mm thick.

You could observe that the foot pegs mounts were bent because they didn't support someone's standing weight.

Here is the original frame according to the part fiche:

Here is my idea for this frame:

Behold the ultra-detailed, alien-technology, frame-sketch, peasants!

Just kidding, it's a doodle I've made before work.

What I want to replace: all engine mounts will be made out of 10mm thick steel plate. The 3-4mm one wasn't my cup of tea.

A frame loop will be aded at the end of the frame.

The bar that sits under the engine, joining the left and right side of the frame will be re-thinked. The stock one it's so ugly and the welds are the same.

All the welding and metal cuting is being made right now by a friend. He has a metal work shop, tools and knowledge. Everything will be tig/mig welded.

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're doing some great work there chap, and this is going to be a rather cool little city bike I think, although I have to admit that I was a little disturbed by this pic...

Are you making bits in the nude?...
😄 unfortunately no. It was summer and I had shorts, was taking some pictures in my living room.

But working naked with a grinder, bathing in a shower of sparks and molten metal shouldn’t be something weird for a CF member. 😄

·
Super Moderator
5,586 Posts
Most of my long sleeve shirts have a vented left sleeve peppered with small holes :D

Reeeeally should buy a fireproof jacket...

Reactions: 370steve

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Cool little bike! 110kg is already pretty good for a 250, be interesting to see how much you can reduce. 10mm engine plates aren't lighter than 4mm though.

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool little bike! 110kg is already pretty good for a 250, be interesting to see how much you can reduce. 10mm engine plates aren't lighter than 4mm though.
Indeed but I am also removing all the tabs, passenger pegs, both seats (the pillion seat is pretty heavy) - will be replaced by a custom made one, exhaust system (I think the stock one wheighs about 8 kilograms) will be replaced by a custom made one (manifolds) out of stainless steel. I got the muffler (stainless reverse cone). I hope to get the entire exhaust system to about 3 kilograms.

Stock fenders are made out of some heavy steel that was chrome plated. I am thinking on using aluminum ones - no paint, only brushed look or some fiberglass ones. I think I’ll stick to aluminum due to “authenticity”.

For the stance of the bike, i bought some Ole shocks from a 2015 Moto Guzzi V7. Mint condition, low price.

I am also planning on rising the front of the bike a bit (i will need some help from the suspension Gurus of CF) and also add some propper springs.

At this moment I am out for a quick trip in the Romanian mountains. Will upload more when I’ll get back in Bucharest, on Sunday.

Attachments

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nature pics are fucking beautiful.

Enjoy that!!!
Thank you, Smoker!

Here are some more pictures. This is the view from the room / balcony. That water stream is a bless for the sleep-challenged people. Best sleep I had in weeks.

Attachments

·
Mr. Good Kat
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back in town. This mountain escapade was something I really needed.

I sent the frame to a friend's shop to have it modified:

I want to replace the engine / swingarm / foot peg mounts since the standard mounts were too thin for my taste. I want to be able to ride this bike on dirt and so on, so I need something sturdy.

First the rear rails and pillion footpegs were removed. Also, the Moto Guzzi rear shocks were fitted to see how it looks. These are 6 cm taller than the standard Suzuki ones.

For comparison:

Then everything went upside-down.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
Love it, flip that shit like a BMX :D
Flickr seems to be the one since photobucket gave everyone the finger.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts