Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Today I tried to make an electronics tray to put the electric spaghetti bowl. The material of choice, again stainless steel. Until now, it turned out decent, still have some more work to do. Might consider using this part as a mold to make it out of fiberglass. Everything depends on how much metal distortion I get after I finish all the crappy stick welds.

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Another day, another part done (almost). Finished the front side of the electronics tray. To call it finished for good I need to make the front bracket that holds it to the frame, make some holes for cables, add some rubber grommets here and there and paint it in some kind of rubbery paint (maybe something like a bedliner paint or a paint similar to the one that is used for under the cars.

·
V four honda whore
12,300 Posts
plastidip has to be pretty thick to be good, and at that thickness it's cheaper to buy stone chip rubber

Reactions: GoodKat

·
Is my bike ok?
15,004 Posts
Today I've decided to make a tail tidy, some minimalistic piece to mount the tail light, blinkers and number plate. Because I went to the stainless steel route with some of the parts made until now, and I had a piece of flat bar laying around, I created a design in my mind, and some measurements later did this.

Also, this was a good exercise on welding stainless with a stick welder since I don't have a TIG / MIG machine. Pretty happy with the result, even though is not finished.

Still need to drill some more holes and give it a good shine.

Damn, now you've hurt my feeling again. I've never seen a stick weld that smooth. Seriously impressive man.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Looking really good. Check out VHT's "wrinkle plus" spray if you're still on the fence about coating solutions. Very chip-resistant, stays slightly plastic but much harder than plasti-dip. I love it for sheet metal parts, because instead of spraying the part and letting it cure and wrinkle slowly you can heat the part first so it cures as you lay it down. And the surface texture looks very 'factory' somehow.

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Damn, now you've hurt my feeling again. I've never seen a stick weld that smooth. Seriously impressive man.
Nothing impressive here man. Just a simple stick weld, point by point since thin stainless warps like hell. But thank you so much!! I'll promise not to hurt your feelings again...in the next hour or so! 😁

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Looking really good. Check out VHT's "wrinkle plus" spray if you're still on the fence about coating solutions. Very chip-resistant, stays slightly plastic but much harder than plasti-dip. I love it for sheet metal parts, because instead of spraying the part and letting it cure and wrinkle slowly you can heat the part first so it cures as you lay it down. And the surface texture looks very 'factory' somehow.
Thanks man, I'll have a look into it! First I need to see if I can find it locally. 😁

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Painted the under tray using some anti chip paint I had laying around, still needs a few more coats. Modified the tail tidy, installed the new chinesium tail light, which looks to be a better quality than I was expecting, and also, super bright.

Tomorrow I'll leave the country for a few weeks so updates will be on hold.

In the meanwhile I'm angry on myself that I don't have a TIG machine to try my hands on an aluminum fuel tank. That and an aluminum swingarm and I can trully call it done.

·
Mr. Good Kat
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
So, back in business.

Today I've spent some time doing this ...ahmm...let's say, this inner threaded bolt.

Made it out of a coupling nut, an Allen head bolt that was cut only to have 2-3 threads, and a bit of welding. Then used the poor man's lathe and a file + sandpaper to get it nice and shiny.

Also nearly completed the rearsets. Now only need to find a hose so I can make a rubber protection for the shifter / brake knobs and make some bronze bushings to use instead of bearings.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts