Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

221 - 240 of 278 Posts

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I don't like the standard kickstand, it's ugly and it rusts.

Soooo...will make a new one, out of stainless.

First I made the pivoting bracket that bolts to the frame.

I did it manually since I don't have access to a CNC or a mill. The good part is that I'm shedding some fat out of my fat-ass.

Turned out pretty good. Next step is to drill and tap the bolt hole.

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
Today did a bit of tinkering and there's a good one and a bad one:

The good: the sprocket carrier spacer arrived, installed it and works like a charm. The wheel isn't binding anymore.

The bad: installed the sprockets and noticed that the chain rubs on the swingarm. Not good. The reason, is a combined one I think:

- Reason A: the factory standard teeth numbers are:15-41- My current setup is 15-38. A smaller rear sprocket has a smaller diameter and it sharpens the angle the chain makes.

- Reason B: the shocks I'm using are a lot taller (forgot the exact number, but around 80mm)

Possible solutions:

a) Get shorter shocks (I'd rather not, the current shocks are brand new from a Moto Guzzi V7)

b) Increase the front sprocket and rear sprocket size, maintaining a close-enough ratio not to mess up everything.

I must keep in mind that once I sit on the bike, the shocks compress a little more and the issue might not be this bad as I imagine, but I still don't like it. Also, this model lacks the swingarm rubber chain slide.

Here's a chart I made with the required info to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

>>>> YOUR INPUT IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED! <<<<

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

EDIT: IMPORTANT to know is that the standard rim size is 17" and I currently run an 18".

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
I've used the following site many times to figure out gearing.

Shows top speed in each gear and other good stuff. Can directly compare what you have now and what you want to try.

www.gearingcommander.com
Hello Smoker! How are you?

First of all, thank you for your input.

Here's are the prerequisites:

We're going to set the following base lines:

Standard sprockets: 15-41 (ratio: 2.73 base values of torque and speed)
Standard rear tire diameter: 23.6 inches

And the updated version (s):

Updated Sprockets : 16 - 45 ( ratio: 2.81 torque: +2.8% speed: -2.8%)
Updated Sprockets : 16 - 46 ( ratio: 2.88 torque: +4.9% speed: -4.9%)
Updated Sprockets : 16 - 47 ( ratio: 2.94 torque: +7.0% speed: -7.0%)
Updated Sprockets : 16 - 48 ( ratio: 3.00 torque: +8.9% speed: -8.9%)

Updated tire diameter: 24.9 inches

Preferably I would use the largest sprockets (16-48) because of the possible clearance it would give me.

Question: how do I find out what impact (in % values) does the bigger tire diameter (1.3 inches difference) has over the torque and speed values?

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I didn't like the stock side covers of the frame nor the lack of them...so I'm going to try making my own.

This project was (and still is) a challenge for me, but I hope to get over all the high steps.

Ok now, back on the project. So, I bought myself a sheet of 1.5mm thick aluminum to shape the side covers. But before snips-jumping on the aluminum sheet, I made the left side cover out of cardboard.

Nothing too fancy, but besides aesthetics, it also covers the airbox and everything behind it from water and dust.

It's a bit square-ish but I dig the look, since the gas tank I'll make will be in a similar shape format.

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
would look nice with the top edge curving like the seat shape? why not shape one from foam and then make from fibreglass of cf?
Hey Yan, to be honest I was thinking the same, but first I want to see if I can replicate this simpler design. After, I can alter it and shape it as desired.

I want to have lots of aluminum parts...i think will look tits with an aluminum gas tank.

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
To mount the left side cover, I need to print a new airbox lid so I can bolt the cover to the lid...Now, can anyone help me with an STL file so I can print it locally?

The shape is pretty simple: a slashed cylinder as the lid and an inside lip (5mm tall / 5 mm thick) that centers the lid in the airbox.

• The lid's diameter 120mm
  • The inner lip's diameter 96mm
  • The inner lip's height 5mm
  • The inner lip's thickness 5mm
  • The lid's thickest point (excluding the inner lip) 20 mm
  • The lid's thinnest point 3mm

Thanks!

upload an image

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
where there's a will there's a way , proper shed built
Cheers Yan! Now I am looking for an aluminum fender to mount it above the rear wheel. There's an UK guy that is making / selling them on ebay but it takes several days for him to answer...I need to buy a metal shrinker and an english wheel.

·
Mr. Good Kat
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Ok, so because one thing leads to another, I was lacking a rear axle long enough for the new wheel. The old axle was long enough but it had 15mm OD, the new wheel requires 17mm OD.

I made one axle out of 17mm 304 stainless steel. What do you guys think? The bike weighs roughly 120 kg and pushes about 20 hp, so nothing spectacular. Will it hold?

221 - 240 of 278 Posts