Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Mr. Good Kat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
If I went full retard with this build and the money invested in it, today I said...what the heck...going to make these rearsets plates on CNC.

At least it will be a nice two-fiddy.

Also, thought about a name for it: The Kettle.

It holds 250cc ...get it?! ...nearly the same as a small kettle...Kettle..250...No?

I gotta quit making jokes.

·
Mr. Good Kat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Had a busy perios, this evening had several hours to work on the bike.

Because I got new rearsets and brackets, I needed a different linkage, something nicer that allows me a good range of adjustment.

Used the splined part of the standard shifter, welded a piece of pipe that was slitted on 2/3 of the length, then welded a piece of a Suzuki GS500 shifter shaft. This way I made myself a shifter shaft extension that allows me to use a GSXR shifter arm along with the Tarozzi rearsets.

·
Mr. Good Kat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
not sure where to take it from, but would be nice to have a support on the extended shaft ?
Never thought about this, but I don't think there will be any issues the shaft extendee it's about 60 mm long and perfectly centered, the action is smooth because it's rotating on the center axis.

But now you gave me another thing to think at. Damn you!! 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
600er Bandit mit 1052 ccm GSXR Motor
249 Posts
not sure where to take it from, but would be nice to have a support on the extended shaft ?
Unfortunately, Yantosh is right. The law of leverage attacks quite differently than it seems. You warp the wave. Still nice work. I'm sure you can think of something awesome.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yeah, there is still transverse load going into it every time you actuate it (unless your shifter operates with zero resistance :p)

IE, it is being pushed sideways from its centre axis towards the front of the bike or pulled to the rear.

I wouldn't be surprised if it started binding after a while as things work themselves loose, particularly where it clamps to the existing shaft-first it'll need constant tightening, then after a while that won't be enough to prevent it worgling around. I would be thinking about the bearings, eventually, too.

Also, if you go down, there go your cases when the extension hits the ground and breaks the shaft right out of the castings.

·
Mr. Good Kat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
yeah, there is still transverse load going into it every time you actuate it (unless your shifter operates with zero resistance :p)

IE, it is being pushed sideways from its centre axis towards the front of the bike or pulled to the rear.

I wouldn't be surprised if it started binding after a while as things work themselves loose, particularly where it clamps to the existing shaft-first it'll need constant tightening, then after a while that won't be enough to prevent it worgling around. I would be thinking about the bearings, eventually, too.

Also, if you go down, there go your cases when the extension hits the ground and breaks the shaft right out of the castings.
I tried to cover all scenarios, in theory the footrest itself acts as a crash pad. Thinking on adding some crashpads locators on the engine under frame, as a double measure.

Regarding the shifting mechanism, I am out of ideas for the moment. I know that ideally the shifter arm should be close to the cases as much as possible, but running these rearsets are setting this a bit impossible.

Another idea would be to have a zig-zag shape shifting rod but have no idea if it works.

I'm opened to all the ideas.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Could you set it up so the rearset shaft extends into/through the adapter closer in and take off the linkage from there to the stock location?

Or redesign the adapter so there's a brace coming forward to support the shaft, or make an add-on part there that uses the mounting bolts or something?

Or what about making it like a double bell crank so it pulls and pushes simultaneously top and bottom, making it all rotational force? That would probably be easiest.

·
10,899 Posts
Or redesign the adapter so there's a brace coming forward to support the shaft, or make an add-on part there that uses the mounting bolts or something?
this would prob be my option, skim something off of the adaptor mount and make a bracket, secured by both the mounting bolts, which mirrors the gear lever , the same pocket in the centre of it, make it a feature

·
Mr. Good Kat
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
this would prob be my option, skim something off of the adaptor mount and make a bracket, secured by both the mounting bolts, which mirrors the gear lever , the same pocket in the centre of it, make it a feature
I think I got it, and thinking the same, but probably a bearing is needed, right?...or something to make the shifter axle turn smoothly

Can you make a sketch in paint to confirm my idea? Thanks!

·
10,899 Posts
I think I got it, and thinking the same, but probably a bearing is needed, right?...or something to make the shifter axle turn smoothly

Can you make a sketch in paint to confirm my idea? Thanks!
post a side on pic , i scribble on it

261 - 280 of 307 Posts