Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, for the last while i've been working on a ninja ex500d that i picked up for 1000$

this is my second bike and first attempt at a streetfighter, i didn't take as many pics as i wish i had've along the way, but i'm still working on it and have the pics so i figured i might as well put them up in a thread :D

DISASSEMBLY:

ok, so the first thing i did when i got the bike was get it safety inspected and then dropped it[woops!] on some wet grass someone had mowed onto the road. Got it home and stripped it down to the frame. got it down to the frame and thought the back end looked kinda empty if i'm not going to have plastics so i welded a piece of really thin steel tubing into the back end on both sides:

PAINT:

after that i picked up some green enamel from the local kent, was looking for a lighter green but i was impatient and didn't want to order some. Went home and painted the frame and left it to dry:

I figured i might as well paint the rims while i'm at it, so i grabbed the rear tire, taped and painted it and the centre of the brake rotor:

I couldn't get the front tire off because i didn't have an allen key socket thing that would fit, so i just left it on the bike and covered the forks with a plastic bag, don't have a pic but it turned out fine.

After that i painted the forks and swingarm with a gloss black enamel that i don't think is going to last very well, it's started chipping in one spot so i need to re-sand and paint them again [properly this time]. I used the same enamel on the tank and got it nice and shiny:

then put on a high gloss clearcoat and a coat of wax to help protect it. I'm thinking of getting some of that rubber spray stuff that i can't remember the name of right now and do the sides of the tank where my legs rest when i'm riding.

so once that was all done i grabbed my exhaust system and sanded most of the scrapes out of the muffler. Then i gave it a coat of matte black heat paint, threw it in a homemade baking chamber at 200 then gave it another coat and baked again. [yeah my workdesk is a washer]

After all that i was looking at my engine and thinking of painting it matte too. got my uncle and dad's opinions and they both said it'd be sweet so i went ahead and sanded that[so much time spent sanding] then gave it a coat.

REASSEMBLY:

once that was done i got my cousin and a jack to help me muscle the engine back into the frame and started putting it all back together, i didn't really get any pics of this part because i was excited and didn't think of it.

We had some wiring issues with the headlight, no power was getting out there so i went to the local hardware store, got a "waterproof" switch and went looking for a place to mount it. ended up being on the frame below the right side of the tank. and put a wire from the battery to the switch, then from the switch to the headlight setup. so far it's working decent[as long as i don't forget it on].

got everything together, new headlight and everything worked out. Headlight was dim af so i ordered a new one that came in recently, haven't had time to put it on though.

I think thats it for the first post, hope it's not too long for you guys :p

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the quality, here's a few more pics of it after it was mostly assembled:

had so much trouble getting the carbs back in the rubber boots >:)

had the lisenceplate light wire hooked onto the foot brake switch, was wondering why the fuses kept blowing

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Looks good. Keep it up. I'm either going to get 2 of those or newer 250s/300s when I move to Cali for me and brother to track/race. Hoping I can get 300s for good deal but it's so much easier to find these for good price

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
I had a hell of a time to with the wife's ninja 250 I got for her.

When I redo the frame over the winter I will make an easier way to install In the boots

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i take the sides off the airbox will it harm anything?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
if i take the sides off the airbox will it harm anything?
As long as you leave the air filter in no. But you'll end up running lean with the opened airbox, so a rejet would be in order. You'd most likely be ok if you shim the needle up and go out a hair on the idle mix screw. If the needle has a clip then you'll be able to adjust that way but if there isn't I've found that m2.5 washers found at hardware stores work perfectly if you dremel the hole open a hair to fit the needle through. Two washers equals about 1mm.

But you still may need a larger main to make it worth the while....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you leave the air filter in no. But you'll end up running lean with the opened airbox, so a rejet would be in order. You'd most likely be ok if you shim the needle up and go out a hair on the idle mix screw. If the needle has a clip then you'll be able to adjust that way but if there isn't I've found that m2.5 washers found at hardware stores work perfectly if you dremel the hole open a hair to fit the needle through. Two washers equals about 1mm.

But you still may need a larger main to make it worth the while....
i need to lookup how to do that, i have no idea how to do any work on carbs. thanks for the reply :D

i have to take the sides off because the piece i welded in takes up space where the covers go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good. Keep it up. I'm either going to get 2 of those or newer 250s/300s when I move to Cali for me and brother to track/race. Hoping I can get 300s for good deal but it's so much easier to find these for good price

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
i'm looking for a 250 at a decent price, love leaning the smaller bikes over. so much fun to manhandle them in the sharp corners.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here's some more pics and explanations, sorry the posts are so long andi don't know propper names for anything rly.

So the pic of a bolt is one I got from Napa hoping the head wouldn't be too big to fit in the hole for the OEM bolts. The bolt is one of the ones on the bottom side of the frame and holds in the bit that can be removed to take the engine out

The one after that is a pic of the bolt in the frame, it fits but barely. The head pulled the paint off the inside of the hole, but that's alright.

I saw a roll of green LEDs at Napa while I was there so I decided to grab it and throw them on the bike, still need more I think to make it look good, but it glows!!

I installed a cnc brake reservoir because the cap was screwed on mine.also installed some turn signals that I need to paint.

And the last pic is the new headlight I gotta find a way to mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no pics for this update, was rushing today to get it done so i can ride it down to my campus tomorrow.

I got a new coolant reservoir made out of a monster energy can and it looks pretty good with the green frame on the bike [gnna have pics, sorry i don't right now.], got the front fairing headlight mounted, decided not to use the old framework crap that the original had and mounted it right to the forks, easier and i think it looks nicer.

also made covers out of 1/4 inch black plastic [no idea what kind, used to use it for rocker panels on our Quads/4-wheelers on the oil fields] and have them almost on. gotta play with them and hope that they are letting enough air in, drill some holes if they aren't, use some silicone if they are letting too much.

that's about it for now. again, sorry for the lack of pics, i'll have some up tomorrow or the day after.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
having engine issues, the clutch was slipping, got that fixed but t's burned out. The engine seems to have 0 power, and it's very sluggish. any ideas what this could be? i'm thinking it might be carbs but have no idea.

I'm getting a new clutch kit for it soon. want to fix it all at once though.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
having engine issues, the clutch was slipping, got that fixed but t's burned out. The engine seems to have 0 power, and it's very sluggish. any ideas what this could be? i'm thinking it might be carbs but have no idea.

I'm getting a new clutch kit for it soon. want to fix it all at once though.
What's the airbox situation now?

Closed off or opened up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the airbox situation now?

Closed off or opened up?
closed up with the same size holes drilled in the new covers.

edit: same holes as the original covers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm thinking i might need to go a little richer with the pilot jet? I'll check the plugs when i get down to my garage again and see what color they are.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Were the carbs pulled off and cleaned?

With how much trouble it seems you had putting them on I'd suggest first spraying around the boots with carb cleaner or starting fluid to check for intake leaks. If you hear a change in the rpms when you are spraying an area there is a vacuum leak there.

It's still a good idea to pull the carbs and start fresh by cleaning them real good. Then a rebuild kit with new jets, pilot and main. If you haven't changed the exhaust or installed a free flowing filter then I'd say stick with the stock size....

It's going to be hard to help out with any running issues with out a good back ground on what you have done to these carbs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Were the carbs pulled off and cleaned?

With how much trouble it seems you had putting them on I'd suggest first spraying around the boots with carb cleaner or starting fluid to check for intake leaks. If you hear a change in the rpms when you are spraying an area there is a vacuum leak there.

It's still a good idea to pull the carbs and start fresh by cleaning them real good. Then a rebuild kit with new jets, pilot and main. If you haven't changed the exhaust or installed a free flowing filter then I'd say stick with the stock size....

It's going to be hard to help out with any running issues with out a good back ground on what you have done to these carbs.
literally just pulled em, did the work on the bike, then put everything back together[stock exhaust still] and started doing this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so my dad bought a ninja and he wants to start customizing bikes too :D he wants to make a streetfighter, how cool is that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting ready to drop the engine out and re-torque the crankcase:

and then i see it:

the spark plug wire wasn't in the cap, felt like such an idiot.

decided to drive it down to school[1 hr. away from where i live] and it ran great. here's the finished bike:

i used a monster can as a coolant reservoir, was leaking at first so i used some hi-temp silicone around the lid[can't be too careful!] and got rid of the bulky old one. sorry there isn't more pics than this, i was overexcited to get it done. But we started working on the other ninja, dad decided he wants it bright orange, i'll have some pics of them uploaded in a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts