Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question concerning the possibilities of choosing a wise fork swap guys...

Im building a neglected 85 kawasaki 454 and in the quest of resurrection im building towards the sportier style.
Im looking to lower the front some, upgrade to dual disc brake and still hold the bike the same as or better then factory. My concerns as i look into some ninja front ends is the 500, 600, 1000 zx bikes. Would, say the zx1000 front end be to much for the bike im building? should i stay around the ex500 or vulcan 750?
Hope someone can help with this, thanks...

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
what do you mean "too much"? too much what? weight? height? stopping power? looks wise?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry, i meant to much spring for the lighter bike? this is my first bike build. i was thinking attempting to swap in forks from say a zx1000 would be like installing 1 ton springs into a half ton truck no?

im trying to keep the bike all kawasaki and the ninjas seem to have the cooler set up with looks and brakes but just dont want to "over power" the front end with too much spring tension...
if that makes sense....

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
well the dry weight of your bike is 450lb's and the zx11 is 510lb's so its not a super drastic difference but if your worried about it you could always get some lighter fork springs and put em in as their not too expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,051 Posts
well the dry weight of your bike is 450lb's and the zx11 is 510lb's so its not a super drastic difference but if your worried about it you could always get some lighter fork springs and put em in as their not too expensive.

Typically front forks are undersprung from the factory. So the springs may be close. Jump on RaceTech's website and use the Spring Rate Calculator and see what is recommended.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, good idea and thankyou for some direction guys. if the overall average is roughly 100lbs i may like the front end being a lil more responsive/stiff no? shit i may not even notice a difference lol
ill check out race tech and see what information i can stir up there.
you think with triple trees it would be a direct swap?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
cool, good idea and thankyou for some direction guys. if the overall average is roughly 100lbs i may like the front end being a lil more responsive/stiff no? shit i may not even notice a difference lol
ill check out race tech and see what information i can stir up there.
you think with triple trees it would be a direct swap?
should be pretty much a direct swap. A LOT of kawis use the same bearings yours does 25x47x15 top and a 28x52x16 bottom. so as long as they use those bearings it will swap over without hassle, that is assuming stem length is correct too but most should be very similar in length.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts