Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on the lookout for a bike for a local ride called the Fivehundred 500. It's a 500 mile ride for bikes costing less than $500.

I've also been on the lookout for a ratty CBX to build, because, you know. Then, I found this thing on craigslist: ZN1300. Straight six, fuel injection (no 6 carbs to rebuild and sync!), water cooled, allegedly runs, AND under $500!

One day it looked something like this:

When I picked it up, it looked like this:

The next day, I had it running thanks to a new fuel injection DFI fuse. I took a video but photobucket is being obstinate at the moment. It sounds great, strikingly similar to my wife's e30 BMW, just half the scale.

Now it is looking like this. I plan on running the plastic XR500 gas tank till I figure out how to easily get the nasty Kreem out of the stock tank. Will definitely want that extra capacity for the long ride.

The seat is from a Harley Davidson, but isnt mounted yet.

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I thought you guys would appreciate this wacky thing.

They put all kinds of wonky gadgets on this bike. See that little black box on the top of the front fender? It's an electronic compass that connects to the LED digital dash to tell you what direction your front wheel is pointing. wtf!?

First order of business is to remove the AIR COMPRESSOR from the front of the seat so I can mount the seat. Yes. Air compressor. On a motorcycle. For the front and rear air ride. Hahaha. That thing is gone and I got a nifty set of non-air ride shocks for the rear to slap on.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
This is pretty awesome. Turbo's are worth it but the clutch needs some work to handle anything more than basic bolt on filters and pipe. My brother is building one and has done all the fixes and mods needed to build a bullet proof lump outta those old water cooled sixes too, despite staying N/A, his info may be of benifit to you if you just want to pull out a few extra ponies as when you ride that bike, you might find any more power would just add to the already apparent danger of how fast it goes and how shitty it turns and stops compared to engine performance. If you want some advice feel free to PM him, he's TocTuning on here.

Be sure to check out http://www.kz1300.com/

And if you want to see the madness my brother is creating from one, check out the painfully slow progress here: http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50687

Sub'd. :rock:

·
QUESTIONABLE ENGINEERING
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha oh you guys. Probably not doing anything suuuuper crazy with this one. Just keeping it cheap and riding the crap out of it. Only one wonky idea I have ... got a full set of Ninja 250 bodywork. Bahahaha. We will see.

Here is the onboard air compressor that I had to get rid of.

This is how you use a single petcock fuel tank on a fuel injected bike.

Here is a video where you get to hear the motor and see the awesome digital dash and how huge it is. I really really want to use it, but it is way too huge to mount anywhere that will look decent. I am really torn on keeping it or going with a trailtech or koso.

http://youtu.be/3Jw0Fnbw-rg

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Does the dash have a warning light for when you reach 88 mph and have your full 1.21 gigawatts of electricity? It would be strange to end up in November 12th 1955 accidentally......
:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts