Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some safe riding pants. I can get away with jeans at work, so am considering lined jeans. But I don't put much faith in a lot I see; companies don't specify lining weight, and coverage is often less than I'd like (I've been down enough to know clothes shift around a lot; jeans I've wiped in that have holes in the shins, etc).

Two strongest jeans contenders so far are these
http://shop.scorpionusa.com/c/mens-apparel_pants_cruiser_covert-pro-jeans_blue
http://finnmoto.com.au/blue-protective-motorcycle-jeans-450gsm-kevlar/

Scorpian have a good rep, but the 450gsm kevlar in the Finn jeans is much more confidence inspiring. Cost is about the same, since I'd be buying knee armor for the Scorps but the Finn's come with, but Finn is in austraili, bumping shipping up to nearly $40...

Any other suggestions?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I was looking at some jeans at my buddy's bike shop that he was selling on consignment. Don't remember the brandnames, but they were both the ones you see regularly. Iron works, I think. Not sure what the other was. Anyway, both of them were thin and flimsy to the touch. Much thinner ( not counting the reinforced areas, which were a joke) then the Dickie's jeans I was currently wearing , so I said screw it and gave up looking for riding pants. $25 got me a really nice set of knee/shin guards. More protection then any of those pants. The added reinforcement I was seeing was so pitiful. You be better protected if you had a leather wallet in your hip pocket then to rely on what I saw in those jeans. Jmo, but the whole market is just a disappointment.

G

·
The original Draggin jeans were very good & saved a couple of my mates from serious road rash but I have heard the production has moved somewhere else (china maybe) & quality has gone way down

If it was me I would look for some new old stock Draggin jeans the original & best imho but remember any of these jeans are only good for abrasion resistance & will do little to prevent bruising or breaks without additional padding

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was me I would look for some new old stock Draggin jeans the original & best imho but remember any of these jeans are only good for abrasion resistance & will do little to prevent bruising or breaks without additional padding.
Yep, you gotta use the armor pockets. Sounds like the Finns are the way to go then, they have all the features of the original Draggin's.

These look interesting too, especially given I already wear khaki cargos to work. Protection seems decent (full lining, pads, unsure how heavy the kevlar is). http://www.ebay.com/itm/161082246714?var=460382382757

I'm not looking for track protection, just something that, in case of mis-hap in normal riding will keep me from having to get asphalt wire brushed out of my skin and reduce time I miss from work.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Draggins. That was the other pair I looked at. 4cups saying it reminded me. The denim part just felt thing IMO. And the kevlar areas were ( IMO ) fairly small areas that didn't really seem to be stitched in very well. I may have been looking at the newer version,too. I wasn't aware there may have been changes.

To tell you how NOT impressed I was... I could have bought those jeans for $35 and I passed on them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Draggin jeans, Drayko, and Rohk are all reputable brands for abrasion resistant jeans. Many brands offer "reinforced" jeans but as you've noticed they're often just baggier cut jeans with a few patches of very thin generic kevlar (aramid) placed over the knees. Carhartts or other work pants are considerably heavier and tougher(and cheaper).

The problem with armor in jeans is that it'll just slide out of the way if it doesn't fit snugly. Then it's just an annoying piece of foam flopping around when you walk. I usually wear knee/shin guards underneath my Icon jeans.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You ever see duluth trading company? I've wondered how their firehose pants would fare in a fall, might be worth checking out. They sell for about 70 bucks and have some on clearance for 50 and some for 60 (those are the briar ones and have thicker material up to the knees).

I've also thought about draggin jeans pants but always sorta shied away, maybe cause they seem to look strange/not my style, but i know thats not how i should be about safety.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Draggin jeans, Drayko, and Rohk are all reputable brands for abrasion resistant jeans. Many brands offer "reinforced" jeans but as you've noticed they're often just baggier cut jeans with a few patches of very thin generic kevlar (aramid) placed over the knees. Carhartts or other work pants are considerably heavier and tougher(and cheaper).

The problem with armor in jeans is that it'll just slide out of the way if it doesn't fit snugly. Then it's just an annoying piece of foam flopping around when you walk. I usually wear knee/shin guards underneath my Icon jeans.
That's what I was trying to say. Thank you, Razed, for actually being good with words. lol

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
I've got Hornee jeans. I think they look good and they have plenty of kevlar. No integrated knee protectors, but I concider that a plus, since I have separate ones that are easy to take off eg. at work.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hey Shiny what size are you? I've got a pair of Icon jeans that I won't be wearing any time soon. They're not the best protection but they have mesh around the inseam so your balls don't melt and they're thicker than normal jeans and reinforced. They're not the best but they're free if you wanna give them a try. I believe they're 34 or 36 with a 32" or 34" inseam so they don't ride up around your ankles when your mounted on your bike.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I can change at work and need a bag for my computer, but haven't seen riding pants I like.
Why not just get a leather pair? They have some that are not too "race" looking. You can get them without the knee pucks too. Even a pair of textiles but dude, stay away from the jeans. All of the people I've seen go down in them Never buy another pair. They either bust at the seams or just straight up wear a hole in em. If your really that worried about how your pants look whilst riding to work, just put on 2 pairs of jeans its about the same or better abrasion protection

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
True but unlike textile, they last through more then one off.... usually. And I know its cliché but how much does a skin graft cost? Lol

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I dont remember where i saw it but there was a test done where they tested different materials during a fall. Denim wore through in like 2 feet, textile wore through in maybe 5, and leather lasted over 100 feet.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Hey Shiny what size are you? I've got a pair of Icon jeans that I won't be wearing any time soon. They're not the best protection but they have mesh around the inseam so your balls don't melt and they're thicker than normal jeans and reinforced. They're not the best but they're free if you wanna give them a try. I believe they're 34 or 36 with a 32" or 34" inseam so they don't ride up around your ankles when your mounted on your bike.
I wear 36 x 34.

You mean your sweet ass has been inside these jeans??? Hell yeah i want them then!!! :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts