Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, I always seem to have issues with batteries. And after countless times having to push start my bike to just go home not to mention that it can't be good for the engine to do that countless times, I had an idea. What about a kick start? Do they even make them for a cbr 600 f3. Just a thought looking for some opinions.

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Bump starting it is what he means by push starting it.

And in betting something is wrong with your stator or alternator thingy. Not a huge expert on electronics, buuuuttt, I'm sure someone will chime in.

I doubt there's a kickstart feature that you can set up on a CBR seeing as how most are built into cases and have separate pieces that are required to have a good legit kick start that lasts a long time.

You might as well fix the battery issue first then you shouldn't have to bump start it. Itll be cheaper and easier to do that than to set up a kick start. Or just keep push starting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why not bump start it? they dont make kick starts for sportbikes. imagine kicking over a high compression 4 cylinder bike especially when its a hard starter.
Valid point, guess I never really thought about that aspect. Was thinking it might be cool to have more than anything else.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You would probably be physically able to kick the motor to life, I've seen 100" chopper v-twins that are kick start only. Not easy, but possible.

If your bike "eats" batteries you probably have a shitty stator and/or R/R. Long term marginal voltage and not keeping the battery fully charged will dramatically shorten it's life. Stick a voltmeter across the battery posts with the engine at fast idle, like 2000rpm. If you have less than 13v or so, you're not adequately charging the battery.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
If a modern bike's battery is dead, then you have no fuel pump. Would there even be enough fuel in the lines to kick it over?

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the bike had been running within the last hour or two it should bump start. I've bump-started EFI bikes before, one left the key on and the battery was stone dead. It took several revolutions to spin the stator up enough to get power to the computer so it could fire the injectors, but it did work. Fortunately there was a downhill nearby, got it coasting to like 20mph with the clutch pulled in third, drop the clutch.....thought it wasn't going to work but right as it was running out of momentum the motor started. Not sure if this would work if there was no residual pressure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heck yes it probably only weighs 100 lbs lol. Hopefully I get my new f3 motor in tomorrow and the stator will be in good! Also I've bump started my bike after letting it sit all night. Like previously mentioned once you get a couple rotations in on your stator it gets the juice you need to get going. Just looks dumb when your on a flat and have a bike between your leg and are trying to run.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Heck yes it probably only weighs 100 lbs lol. Hopefully I get my new f3 motor in tomorrow and the stator will be in good! Also I've bump started my bike after letting it sit all night. Like previously mentioned once you get a couple rotations in on your stator it gets the juice you need to get going. Just looks dumb when your on a flat and have a bike between your leg and are trying to run.
Way overkill bro! Staters are much easier to change than the entire motor:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts