Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cheap old GL1000 had a rod knock when I bought it, was hoping for the best. Now its got a 'bag of bolts' sound and I'm having it towed home. Bummer, not sure its worth a rebuild. :(

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Damn that sucks hopefully you can make some of your money back if you part it out

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
There's a guy in Princeton I think that usually has a bunch of Oldwing parts. I'll try to round up his contact information if you want it.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I think you should swap in a harley motor and really piss people off... :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's clearly begging for a big Bandit motor or something to be custom-fab adapted into it ;)

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Either of those would be a fuckton of fab work, given the shaft drive. I actually like the stock engine a lot - bought the bike for that reason. If I was gonna do all that work, I'd go with a custom electric motor system. There's plenty of room and weight capacity for one, and the stock shaft drive would work fine. Actually tempting, but the cost would be much to high.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Either of those would be a fuckton of fab work, given the shaft drive. I actually like the stock engine a lot - bought the bike for that reason. If I was gonna do all that work, I'd go with a custom electric motor system. There's plenty of room and weight capacity for one, and the stock shaft drive would work fine. Actually tempting, but the cost would be much to high.
I agree with keeping the stock engine. With some aftermarket pipes I think this is one of the best sounding engines of the 70s. Here's a fairly complete looking 78 if you haven't seen it already. http://rmn.craigslist.org/mpd/4340539654.html

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts