Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well the pansies over at a certain KLR forum didn't like me to much. But that makes sense since the average KLR rider is 40 pounds overweight and spends more time bitching on adventure rider forums than actually riding.

I'm not turning my bike into a street fighter per say but I am stripping it down to bare minimum to create a street/flat tracker, vintage/modern enduro inspired bike.
My biggest inspiration has been the nx650, roughly hondas version of my bike:

My Favorite:

I started off with a pretty setup KLR that I used to tour around baja with while I was living San Diego, but I just moved to Chicago to continue my education and didnt really need a touring beast. Since I moved to a place that doesnt have the best riding weather for half the year I wanted to make something that stands out and is more fun to have a chick on the back of.

So I took off the plastics, metal bags, all the CAL emissions junk, and tore out the airbox and replaced it with a UNI air filter.

Loading her into the back of the 1981 toyota pickup and heading off to chicago!

tore down the bike to install my new vapor trail tech computer, get rid of all the extra wiring that connected the dash controls, removed the second light circuit and installed new turn signals, a new head light, and a new tail light.

Looks pretty mad max right now!

I have to get a new welding set up, I left my oxy and acet tanks in San Diego, but I feel a little mig would be best suited for this project any way. I want to cut the sub frame tail off and shorten/flatten the tail and also match the two subframe support bars so they aren't asymmetrical along with grinding off all the extra mounts.

Then I want to relocate the radiator to under the seat and build a "tall can" inspired coolant reservior. I then need to get my hands on a vintage metal dirt bike fender and mount that up. I have an old honda xl500s tank that I even got painted in a pretty porsche silver before leaving san diego(i was working in a bicycle frame building and resoration shop). But i was an idiot and didn't see if it fit on my frame before spending all the time refinishing it. so I am contemplating either hammering the bottom section of the tank so it fits over the cylinder head or selling it on ebay and finding a better tank...dilemmas.

Finally I want to build a new front wheel (probably a 17" that is wider) and rebuild the rear to match the front and then through on some continental tkc80 tires on their. ultimately too I do still want this bike to be able to do road touring, so I want to build a less cumbersome pannier system out of easily detachable knobs that screw into large ny-lock nuts that I will be welded to the frame. the knobs will be inside old ammo cannisters that are readily available at most army surplus stores. this i hope will be similar to the happy trails boxes I once had but not over engineered.

Thanks for looking, should be a really fun project. Let me know if you have any suggestions for the bike. peace! -Zach

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love dual sport builds on this forum. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.
Thanks man, yeah its the bike I had (i bought to tour through mexico) but after doing all that and planning on moving I wanted to sell it before I left to buy a vintage bmw or bsa to ride around in chicago. couldn't sell it, realized I loved it and just wanted to modify it to suit my needs. And plus I haven't seen anybody do a street tracker build with a KLR yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dang this thread has just made me realise how fricken sweet almost any bike can look with some inspired thinking.

You might want to check out http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/motorcycles
if you haven't already
Yeah the wrench monkee crew has been putting up some pretty solid looking trackers. I think that's why I like fighters and trackers, its the keep it simple aesthetic and attitude.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebuilt the carb today and installed a stage 2 jet kit.

Also installed my new DG R series pipe, much nicer looking than the stock pipe. It was a pretty cheap slip-on and is loud as hell.

The Vapor by Trail Tech computer is finally calibrated and installed. I am quite happy with it, wasn't sure how accurate the digital tach would be but it seems to work great.

Up next I have to call Buchanans spoke and rim about getting two 17" x 3.00" rims and spokes to redo the front wheel and rear. I have some tires on the way too (that rear one is getting thin!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do these imgaes come up super huge? Does imgur work on here? when I first post images using the little Image icon in the tool bar nothing shows up. the only way I can get images to show up is to direct link them. mildly infuriating!

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Yeah, just direct link the images. They don't come up super huge, the forum software sets them to a max width (although folks still have to load the big image, which can suck on a slow connection).

Like the bike a lot, new pipe looks great. Maybe paint the underside of the seat pan black w/ bed liner or underbody coating?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe paint the underside of the seat pan black w/ bed liner or underbody coating?
That seat is gonna go along with the tank, i have it on just to ride, but once I get a tank Ill most likely build a custom seat pan for it. winter is around the corner so I figure that will be the season for me to get all that done.

Also I want to move the radiator to under the seat, I under stand the inherent problems of doing that (gravity, hose lengths, pump capabilities) and I have seen some threads of other people doing it, but is there a resource to figuring out if that placement can work for your bike or is it pretty much up to trial and error?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts