Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Been hankering to build something recently, and my lovely wife told me that i couldn't mess with the Buell because she liked to ride it how it was, so i picked up a 1982 Yamaha Virago 920 from DeathmetalDan for $300. The bike had been sitting outside under a tarp for a while and was in pretty rough condition, but as i am only planning on keeping the engine and swingarm, it fit the bill quite nicely.

My plan is to strip it down, build a custom frame, tank and tail. My goal is to have a striped down bike that is basically wheels and an engine. I haven't decided completely on the styling, however i am going to be putting spokes on it and the bodywork will be primarily carbon fiber. Oh and the other thing is i am going to do my best to not spend any money from our budget on the bike. I am planing on funding the bike with side-work. so if you have anything that you need done, hit me up.

I also have parts left over from the last build, including these USD forks from a GSXR 750 that were in really bad shape that i cleaned up and am rebuilding.

Here is the bike as it sits newly introduced to its stable-mate.

and the fork rebuilding:

thanks for looking and i will have more to come soon.
~Chris

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent, this should be a lot of fun to watch! Are you gonna build a frame jig of some sort?
that is the plan. I dont have a welder powerful enough to get the penetration i will need, but i have both welder friends as well as car-building friends so between the two i think i should be okay. the first order of business is to strip the bike down and see what i have to work with. which is always fun, except for the critters that will have to be evicted. I was already attacked by a 4" diameter wolf spider. *heebie jeebies*

Here are a couple more pics:

and the forks before rebuild:

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sub'd.... cant wait to see what you do with this. i loved what you did with the CBR... thats the bike that first got me hooked. i have a 90 F1 and i was looking for stuff on CBR's and ran across that one.
thanks! Fathead03's f3 bike build was what got me on here and i have never looked back. i am glad you like it.

i am excited to see how it turns out myself. I have some ideas in my head....

combining this:

with this:

add some CNC work, carbon fiber, a little paint, spit and grit and i think it should be tight.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most excellent. Ya know I got the SV on the road a while back. Maybe I could ride down there so you can peep it out and I can see this build in the flesh.
sounds good to me! it currently looks like a really dirty cruiser right now but it should look better by this afternoon.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Boner Rama. Check out Classified Moto. theyre partial to Viragos

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
1,152 Posts
I always like these Virago biulds. Takes talent to turn such a turd into something cool!! There have been a few and I love the way the V-twin looks in the finished product.:shocker:

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay so i only had about an hour yesterday to work on the bike due to some conflicts, and should have more time today, however i was able to make some headway it stripping it down.

I am really sorry for the crappy pics, my camera was having a bad day.

just some of the crap i pulled off of this thing

Is it just me, or does this bike have a lot of electronics for a carb, air-cooled bike? Maybe because of the digital gauges? i am going to go through the wiring diagram and see what i can cut out.

thanks!
~Chris

·
118 Posts
Is it just me, or does this bike have a lot of electronics for a carb, air-cooled bike? Maybe because of the digital gauges? i am going to go through the wiring diagram and see what i can cut out.

thanks!
~Chris
I agree with the excessive electronics. There seems to be a lot of bulky relays on my virgao 750, way more than my KZ1000 of a similar year. I think removing the old gauges and some of the safety circuits will help trim it down.

Anyway good luck with the build! Kinda bums me out though as I suspect your build will outclass mine if you put as much attention into this as you did your CBR. :D

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
I'm soo sub'd I can't get any more sub'd...

I missed out on the Agressor. Never again.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i am going to do my best to simplify the bike as much as possible. KISS and all that.

I hope to make this one much better than the CBR as i learned SO much from that build. I am hoping to make this one alot more precise and clean with more machined parts and since i will be getting rid of just about everything i can start with a clean slate and not have to worry about integrating antiquated components.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts