Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
let the tear-down begin!

In 4 hours i had the bike from as you saw it in the last picture, to this:

all the frame components were stripped, cleaned, and sandblasted.

I got them powdercoated in a color called "sunken treasure" which is a black with gold pearl in it to give it a black/bronze/gold color depending on the light. here the parts are in the sun

and here it is inside.

then, it was time to start on the engine. I rebuilt the engine, but the in progress pictures all turned out horrible. so you will just have to imagine all of the mechanical goodness. All new internal parts and everything. aparently grease and camera lenses = bad

then the engine got a bath

a little silver...

and a little black, and looking pretty good

time to move on. the engine is covered up and it is time for some paint. forks and final drive and gonna be black. and before anyone cries "foul play!" the reason for paint is the forks were slightly undersized and the paint will help bring them up to size for the triples and clip-ons.

a little black direct-to-metal epoxy primer...

those are drying so i figure out how to hang my wheel components, let the forks dry overnight and took them inside.

Now, a little gray direct-to-metal epoxy primer, then some silver

then those silver parts got a pagan gold kandy urethane. then the black parts came back out for some two-part clear.

All those parts dried over the weekend while we were out of town. then i laced my front wheel.

I am waiting on a set of custom spokes from Buchannans for the rear wheel. and i am going to start the pre-paint prep on the body-work.

more soon!
thanks
~Chris

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
So glad to see you back at it!

Here's hoping you safe travels man. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

·
Oxymoron, rat rods suck
400 Posts
This bike looks awesome but that trip sounds EPIC!!!! Man I envy you for getting to run off like that and see the world, take in its people and learn its customs. Damn that's going to be sweet!

Drop me a line if your travels put you in Austin Texas for any reason.

-Russell

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Lookin great! Good luck on your travels, a thread on your trip might be cool too!
Thank you. We are leaving in December, and going to be traveling to pretty much every country we can that isnt infested with ebola or war torn. We will be doing a blog of some sort, but if you guys are interested i can keep you up to date.

Looking very good!

What wire do you use for the harness?
Thanks! i used as much of the original wires as i could to keep the wire colors correct but used all new ground and hot wires that i got from autozone. Because I was making wiring loom shorter and cutting out a bunch of stuff i had plenty of wire left over.

Damn, that powdercoating color is amazing.
Thank you, i was actually informed about the color by a guy i work with. A lot of people love it on high end rims. it is a little more fun than black but not TOO flashy.

And now... i have a nice update for yall.

I got the bodywork off the hangers and set aside, trying to keep the dust off while i get everything else assembled.

Just a few feet away i have this beautiful pile of shiny new parts. i wonder what i will do with them?

Here is the frame, next to the original frame, just for comparison... its a BIT different.

Frame meets engine...

Then on goes the lower support and brace to tie the two together. i am terribly sorry for the picture quality, it was storming outside and i had no natural light.

now for the swingarm and the rear shock..

then my whole plan to take a picture at each major component went out the window as i needed the wheels for balance, so I put on the front suspension and the wheels.

by this time it was about 9 pm, but i wanted to see what it looked like with the tins... super excited.

After that it was a whirlwind or parts pieces and tweaking. Everything got cleaned torqued lock-tighted greased or lubed. still missing some stuff, but wanted to share a better idea of "what it would look like" hope you like:

And then... after playing around with pictures, I got back to work and got the wiring finished up and a bunch more bits and pieces on, like the brakes, oil filled up, final drive topped off, and all that good stuff.

ill have more soon, and more details. the wiring all works, and i got the engine to fire up with a bit of starter fluid in the intake ports. and it is LOUD. i smoothed out the intake manifold, and i sealed it with tank sealer so it would be super smooth inside.

I got to get the carb all tweaked up and the cables mounted.
thanks
~Chris

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
Damn that bodywork came out amazing!!!!! Everything's so clean and streamline!

181 - 200 of 229 Posts