Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 229 Posts

·
Dancing Monkey
28 Posts
Having read your CBR thread loads... With the experience of that under you this build is going to be fantastic!

Good luck with the build, Subbed :rock:

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
have you considered a chaindrive conversion for this? :evilred:
yes. I have actually been talking to XVR about that. there are a couple options. alot of it will depend on how long the build takes. i plan on doing the engine build last so, that might be an option at the end of the build. the other option is that if the engine is too far go i will save up and and the chain drive engine to put in here. i am currently very limited by the wheels that i can run.

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
i ask about the chaindrive conversion because two of my friends have virago 750s, and i'll be working on a conversion for them over this winter. the (rear)wheel limitations is exactly why i developed the conversion for my bike, wanting a 200 rear. although it's not a virago, it WAS a shaft driven Yam. i'm very curious to see what you guys come up with and how our solutions will be similar or different. i'm also re-designing the unit for my bike as well this winter

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
hey,
small update here... still getting prepped for the frame building. I needed a headstock jig, so i made one.

I settled on 25 degrees of rake as a middle of the road approach.
\

i also got the first parts for my front wheel. gotta get a new hub as this one is pooched, but i am going to use this hub to see if i can make my own rear hub to integrate the shaft drive without having to keep the drum brake.

I also have a 535 spoke rear wheel on its way to me as well as the proper hub for the front wheel and some GSXR calipers for the forks, so that i can figure out my fork width for the triples.

any idea what bikes run 320mm front rotors with a larger bolt ciricle? the gsxr rotors have a very small bolt pattern

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
I think 06 & up CBR1000RR's run a 320, but I'm not definite on that.

Do you have the plans for your head stock jig?

Can't wait to see this come to fruition.!

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I think 06 & up CBR1000RR's run a 320, but I'm not definite on that.

Do you have the plans for your head stock jig?

Can't wait to see this come to fruition.!
i will check that out the CBRs for sure. AS far as plans go... i could give you something but it is really simple. I turned down the end of the 5/8-11 threaded rod down and pressed it into the extruded aluminum structural member, turned the cones and tapped them. The aluminum plates were drilled to line up at 25 degrees and i had to mill the 25 degree angle on the end of the upright piece so that it wouldn't go below the bottom of the piece holding the angle square.

long story short, i can give you what i have, but i dont have anything drawn up at the moment. it was mostly in my head.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
i will check that out the CBRs for sure. AS far as plans go... i could give you something but it is really simple. I turned down the end of the 5/8-11 threaded rod down and pressed it into the extruded aluminum structural member, turned the cones and tapped them. The aluminum plates were drilled to line up at 25 degrees and i had to mill the 25 degree angle on the end of the upright piece so that it wouldn't go below the bottom of the piece holding the angle square.

long story short, i can give you what i have, but i dont have anything drawn up at the moment. it was mostly in my head.

Thanks! That's a good enough description for me to work with.

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
What size bolt circle are you looking for?

06-07 CBR 1000s have 94mm inners, 12mm offset
08-09 CBR 1000s have 94mm inners, 15mm offset
04-06 YZF-R1s have 132mm inners, 0 offset

(Using Metal Gear's brake disk catalog and it stops at 2009.)

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
I know exactly where this bike came from and this is exactly what it deserved!

i am subbed and i can't wait for more updates.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
What size bolt circle are you looking for?

06-07 CBR 1000s have 94mm inners, 12mm offset
08-09 CBR 1000s have 94mm inners, 15mm offset
04-06 YZF-R1s have 132mm inners, 0 offset

(Using Metal Gear's brake disk catalog and it stops at 2009.)
I am looking for 320mm with more like the R1's inner pattern and i am not sure what offset yet, but i will soon.

I will know because i have been doing work!

First off, i am replacing the clunky swingarm support with a stainless trellis that i will tie into the main frame. however, the two upper mounts are offset 11mm center to center, and to add rigidity, i made them connect (it was a PITA to make too)

Made the new pivot tube. Just waiting on new needle bearings to come in the mail. Gonna be making a jig on Monday to locate and hold the new tube in the same location as the stock tube.

I got the new hub and spokes for the front wheel, and laced it up. it is a harley wheel 16x3 dual flange.

Got the forks rebuilt. they are REALLLLLLY nice. gonna wait to dial them in till the bike is assembled.

Got my GSXR calipers so that i can now figure out spacer length and disk offeset before i start on the triples.

Got my new rear wheel off of a 94 Virago 535 that i will be running for now, until i can make a new hub for the back to incorporate the shaft drive, but run a disk brake rather than the antiquated drum.

Also got the new swinger as the old one had to be cut-off due to the stuck pivot bolt. it is just surface rust and will be getting the full treatment. this one will be staying stock so that i can modify the old one. without jeopardizing progress.

I also got a box of springs to play around with from Ben, who helped me rebuild my forks. MAJOR kudos to Ben (BenGone1 from SVRider)

too many pictures... coffee break

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
the biggest progress has happened in the last couple days.

I got my frame plates cut and ground. they are 0.15" precision ground and were cut on the waterjet, using Appolyon's CAD model as a reference. the are designed to be a secondary method of lining up the frame tubes as well.

Here is the preliminary fitting before i got the engine mount bosses done, but with the plate centered and located. (also this was before i ground them)

i LOVE it when a plan comes together.... this made me realllllly happy. 25 degrees of rake.

the bosses, cut to length with the 10mm through hole drilled and reamed to size. the carbon steel rusts fast with just the grease from your hands.

the bosses are 1" in diameter with the holes in the plates at 0.815" to locate them in the center with a 1.5" gap for the main frame tubes. the tolerance on the parts and fitment is plus or minus 0.003" so they fit together tight and the exact same every time.

I never did this kind of work on the CBR. for that i mostly eyeballed the fabrication. it was even, but it wasn't precise. Hopefully making everything more precise from the get-go will help in the long run. I am really excited about this. i have used more CAD, fixtures and precise set-ups in the build so-far than i did in the entire CBR build. i am hoping it will show.

thanks for looking!
~Chris

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Have you looked at the v-star 1100 rear hub as it is shaft drive and has a disc brake?
i hadnt looked into it befor eyou said something... however the cheapest one i could find was like $500 and it owuld take a good bit of modification. I am most likely just going to modify my and make a custom rear wheel.

Why are you such a boss?
the jury is out on that one, but i appreciate the sentiment!

Things are really moving along and its all looking great! Are you making the entire frame out of stainless?
It is really exciting! as far as the stainless goes... only the lower frame (swingarm support) will be stainless. and that was dictated by the availability of materials. I had the 3/4" stainless tubing for the rear and so i just went with that. the main frame is going to be cro-moly as that is what i can get through my welder friend. he has been using it for his Opel project and was getting ready to order more. plus he has a tube bender set-up and is going to help me bend and weld it all.

i am hoping to make the subframe out of CNC'ed aluminum so i will have a carbon main frame a stainless lower frame and an aluminum subframe all interconnected. so much for continuity!

i will be posting a update here in a little bit.

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Okay....
Update time. I never had more than about an hour at a time in the shop this weekend, however i was able to get a few things done.

First things first, i slapped the frame plates on the bike as soon as i got home... pretty exciting.

Then... i played around with my rebuild forks to check out the offset and caliper clearance as well as the basics of the mounting plate for the rotors. looks like it will work. gonna need a custom axle, but the spacing will be very simple, as will the rotor adapter.

then i made some wheel lugs to center the 32mm axle holes in the forks to the .75" bearings on the wheel. and threw the forks on there, but really didnt do a whole lot more as a i ran out of time.

Then, the next time i went out i got the engine level and flat, and set-up my pivot tube jig. I bolted on the stock lower frame, made sure it was level and then located my fixture using a 24mm slug that fit exactly in the stock bearings before bolting it to the table. here it is located, set, and bolted down.

Then, i took off the stock lower and replaced the bung with a 32mm bung that would fit inside the new pivot tube as i will not press the bearings in until after it is welded.

Now i have the mounting point bungs on and the pivot tube in place. the beauty of this jig is that it locates the tube correctly in all 3 axis to the exact same as stock. easy peasy

With the jig in place, i mocked up the swingarm to make sure that none of the support tubes would interfere with the drive shaft shroud... and i threw the spring on there for fun!

then i had to go do chores and other real life stuff, as well as getting a fun ride with my brother and freind on a local twisty road. SO much fun in the fall.

So later.... i spent a good hour cutting and shaping the support tubes, and i wont bore you with that, but here they are:

I cant weld Stainless, however i cant really move my set-up to the welder's so i tacked everything in place with my mig welder, and did a pretty ugly job of it. I really need a TIG welder.

after the part cooled i used my trusty precision scissors to cut some extremely precise templates for the gussets.

I then took the part off and took it to the wire wheel to get as much of the spatter off as i could. i will get the rest off by hand before getting it welded.

and here it is with the jig out of the way and supporting itself. I will be adding upright supports to this so that it can bolt it to the main frame for added rigidity.

More soon! i got my steering stem bearings in so now i can make the neck, which means when the tubing comes in i can get the frames welded up.
thanks for looking!
~Chris

41 - 60 of 229 Posts