Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
or just jay
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for 3 years now I have been going goldwing camping with my long time best friend Jeff and his wife Trina to Howard prairie reservoir 30 miles east of Ashland OR. For a quick recap. The first year I spent the week fixing the boat exploring the surrounding area riding quads and shooting guns. On the last day I came across a truck that had just hit a tree that ejected the passenger and I did all I could to help them out.

The second year I spent the week repairing a tractor shooting and riding dirt bikes oh and lots of goldwing off road riding but the highlight of the week was a project that I started on the first day with 3 of the kids at camp and that was building a dam across a creek to create a pond. It came out great. we all learned a lot and accomplished a large task which was rewarding in the least. I also set off a home made explosive and took a raft down a flume that left me stranded in the middle of no ware forcing me to walk for several hours.

This year was the best yet. my sister sue , my daughter Jamie and her yellow lab came up as well.
That first afternoon I took off on a ride around the lake to see if I could find a project with no luck but while sitting on a stump overlooking the lake I saw one of our camp members playing around on a stand up surf board like thing and It got me thinking. I have always wanted to build a Tom sawyer raft.
Well that was it I am going to build a log raft and take it across the lake to an Island and back. I know what your thinking……there is something wrong with that guy and your probably right but I simply wont just sit on my ass drink beer and talk about the old days while the last of my healthy years go by ignored.
makes no sense to go through all the things we do and learn all the things we learn to then sit on our asses and tell anyone who will listen about all the cool things we did as young people. To me it makes more sense to use all the experiences to create new ones and pass them on
To the young ones if they are willing. while on my way to the camp I noticed a stretch of the road ware their had been a resent fire and their were several trees cut up into short 10 or 12 foot lengths so I went up the hill and rolled them down to the road then came back put them in Jeff’s truck and took them to camp. Naturally all the adults except Jeff were thinking I was out of my mind. To my surprise the only help I got was from three of the many kids at the camp and they never even herd of Tom sawyer.
When it came time to put it in the water everyone was their which was nice. We pushed it out into the water and it worked great! The next day I put a lawn chair on the deck and me and Wednesday (my daughter’s dog) paddled it about a mile to the island and back. After 4 days everyone had tried it out and loved it but none more than Nathan 15 yo grace 11 Caitlyn 11 and myself 51. Ill get pictures asap

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
You are one creative thinker jay. Can't wait to your Tom Sawyer raft.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Very cool Jay.

Reactions: oldrider

·
4,400 Posts
Awesome!! Waiting for pics

·
or just jay
1,894 Posts

·
or just jay
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I swear, Jay, everyone one of your threads always reminds​ me of a story. :D

Very cool, man. So you still have it?

well good then I am doing somtin right. hey check out the link bellow it is my big raft 10' x 17' with a cabin on it will be taking it down the Sacramento river for 10 days 258 river miles it isnt done in the picture but it will give you the idea.what do ya think?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...452257568138286.104010.100000621394126&type=3

·
Breaking shit...
3,273 Posts

·
or just jay
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats pretty rad!!
man I think it will be a blast.as far as I could find it has not been done in over 100 years.we recently had a bunch of rain and the river is all muddy brown i hope it clears out by July

10 days of this at 4 mph just me .I am going to leave my voice on the shore and wont hear none talking to me for ten wonderful silent days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts