Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to come up with catchier titles. Figured I'd start a new thread for this one.
I want to create some kind of stripped down fighter/tracker monstrosity with a big ass LC8 twin and minimal bodywork. Preferably one that the neighbours hear and think, "What a cunt."

Here it is pre-teardown:

I love a KTM but this one is very abused, which is kind of good, as I won't feel guilty butchering it.
Started stripping the forks to replace the seals and bushes and found that they definitely need rechroming. So that's pushed back the budget a bit as I'll need to send them away and also do the same with the shock while I'm at it.

Started tearing it down last night:

I'm thinking a sort of bobbed tail with just a couple of supports and seat with no bodywork. The tank is going to be hard to figure out though!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I managed to disassemble the other fork and it also needs the chroming done. Not that I'd only get one leg done, but I'd rather they both actually needed it, you know?

Pulled the exhaust Y-piece and cans, the subframe, hauled some wiring out, and after a lengthy battle with the lower mounting bolt, the shock absorber.

I'll go see the suspension man tomorrow and ask if he can pull the caliper brackets off the fork stanchions, sort out the rechroming, and rebuild & service the shock for me.

I'll relocate as many electrical gubbins in front of the giant induction kit of doom, I think.

And I'm completely at a loss as to what to do about a tank! Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dropped off the shock for its rebuild, but unfortunately the suspension man couldn't separate the fork legs out of their caliper brackets, using as much heat and leverage as he dared. Bummer!

I was thinking of switching to Superduke forks to lose the massive SM front end height, but that might just run into clearance problems with the oil tank. Bloody Austrians!

Here are my main inspirations so far (more so the second one)

Looking through other photos, the second red one has a modified tank, so that could maybe take some cut & shut action.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
be lucky to get you to the shops n back, I thought my 12l tank was small
Yeah that's the trouble, these ones will just have a wee tank to last a few laps or so.
I'll try to find a decent sized tank from a production bike, but I don't want to start buying loads of tanks in trial and error. I'll see what I can eyeball!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got in touch with a local aluminium fabricator about getting a fuel cell type thing made up that fits above the carbs. I'm planning to somehow make up a cover so it looks more like a regular tank rather than a metal box.

Currently got the fork stanchions soaking in diesel at my work to hopefully free up the caliper mounts before I cave in and buy new forks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about a tank in the tail and shove all the electronics under the tank?
I did consider that, but I think the tail would have to be a bit big for my liking to cover a usable sized tank. I'll measure things up later though and see what I have space for.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not much to report; got my steel in for making the subframe, and the fibreglass seat unit. The shock is getting rebuilt but unfortunately the forks are inseparable from the caliper brackets. So I'll definitely need new forks, which sucks nuts. I had my eye on a pair on ebay, but since I asked the seller a few questions the price went up by £150! So I'll just keep an eye on ebay for some deals in the meantime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts