Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got a couple RC125 bits in the post. Did a mock up before I start butchering

It's a bit narrow at the fuel cell end and a bit short at the front. I'll probably cut the standard fuel filler hole out and plastic weld a new top and sides on to bring it closer to the front end

Propped the seat up and got a photo. Looks pretty badass but probably a bit high on the riding position

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome work! using that thin rod to fab up brackets is a great idea.

Also what was the reasoning behind the single front caliper? Weight, aesthetics, other?

Looking good mate, keep it up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cheers!

Hopefully the round bar lasts. I am a bit concerned about engine vibes and potholes, but fingers crossed. I'll beef them up a bit when I get a new gas bottle.
The single disc was mainly for weight reduction (plus it looks cool), but a lot of the 950 and 990 Adventure guys switch to a single bigger disc without any major issues, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Managed to rough out the mounting tabs for the subframe tonight, and made a start on the tubing. Should have it tacked together by the end of the weekend, provided I can fit the torch inside the frame without dropping the engine

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally had a go at some basic stuff on the lathe. We've had it long enough and I've no excuse for leaving it this long...
Made some tube inserts for the subframe supports

I also roughed out the tabs I'll weld onto the main frame, for mounting the top legs of the subframe
I've still to figure out how I'm going to cut and shut the tank cover, but I'll get it fitted with the seat and subframe first

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Had round 2 and 3 on the lathe today. Wound up using solid bar with a counter bore for the subframe mounts after I realised I couldn't weld the spacers inside the tube, d'oh

Started welding flanged nuts to the upper mount tabs

Notched the upper tubes (template was a bit off, but was good practice) and glued them onto the new mounts. My welding is rough as arse on tubing, but hopefully my svelte figure won't snap them off

I'm praying I can weld these tabs in situ, as I can nooot be arsed dropping the engine out!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Made some more progress today.

Had a seat loop from my original plan with the bike. I cut a couple bends off it for the lower supports

Tomorrow I'll hopefully weld a couple of tubes to tie the sides together. I've only got two bits of tubing left so I should be able to tie them together

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: fuck, it's too tall 😂

I like it, I think it looks badass, but I'm also perched on top of it like a tit...I'd still like to try riding it though. I doubt it'd ever wheelie again

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Be a good bike for burnouts since there is no weight over the rear tire ha ha

Reactions: Natan

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Added a few more bits today. New tank mount; no more wobbles. Plus a couple more bits so I can take it off and hold it in one piece

Got the top mounts welded on too. Need to work on my hand steadiness with the TIG

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cheers! I tend to focus so much on the arc that I don't move and end up warping and blowing holes in shit.
Yeah I think it's too high but I'll finish some of the welding to hold it together and try to get it running and try a test run. I like how tits it looks, but I don't want it to be too sketchy to ride

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Finally finished the body of the subframe. I used a whole bottle of gas between this and the mounts!
It'll still need wee tabs here and there but I'll start trying to get it running next so I can test ride her out

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not much to report. Fitted up the tank to check filter clearance today.

Was looking at where to stick the battery and other electronics. I was planning to build a little cage to hold the battery and starter relay, but on test fitting the tank cover today, I should be able to fit the whole lot on top of the aluminium tank. Just means I'll need to take it back to the fabricator to weld threaded bosses on it so I can bolt a mounting plate to it

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Found some cheapo indicators that should fit nice in the subframe tubing, once I decide how much of the ends I'm cutting off

Got the seat lock hooked up as well

21 - 37 of 37 Posts