Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody :) this is my third bike, and second ninja but this is my first streetfighter build. i have many visions of how i want things to turn out. but i would really like some input from you guys :)

So, the bike is a 1992 zx7 ninja i bought from a friends uncle last year for around 1300$, its been sitting outside his house for 6-7 years or so without being used. was pretty rough, didnt run or anything.
First i put i back to its "glory" because i really like the old look of the bike. But now i have decided to build a streetfighter. i have changed wheel bearings, tires, brakes, rear shock, rebuild front shocks, clutch, all fluids, painted wheels.
the project has no deadline because of time an money wise. but so far the bike is in much better shape then when i first started. i have also ordered some parts like: new bars, bar clamps, wave brake discs, kawasaki green brake lines, foot pegs, new gas cap(race type), gas tank(without the hoses), steering head bearings, zxr750rr tail and more to come. The plan is 2010- z1000 front headlight. and everything is going black besides the rims that i have painted and the brake hoses. Tail, tank and headlight will be painted in gloss black and frame, swingarm and everything else is going matt black(powdercoat)

I have put the bike on a dyno. i got 90hp on the rear wheel. really satisfied with that! original spec is 100hp on crank. compression test was good on all 4. i have a video if you wanna see the run :)

My second plan is to put a turbo on it. And yes, thats how i first found this forum, because i was searching to see if anybody else had done it before. But those plans are for later. the bike first.

First bike, had license for 8 days. woops...

Got it back togheter again.

Here is the zx7 when i bought it. rust and corrosion heaven i promise you. was standing under roof. but outside in norway's wheater is no good :nuts:

This is what i am starting with.

out for a run, friends r1 in the back.

Dyno run

some deassmbly pics

testing the new tail

New tank. i need to make new mounts for the rear frame. as the 91-92 mod have different from 93-..

engine is out.

hope you like pics, more to come :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good start lookin forward to this !
Thanks robsroadeater! :) like the forum! Looks like many Great People here!

Question: does anyone know the measurements of the Rear frame brackets that are welded on the newer zx7 bikes? Maybe someone has a pic for me so i could see.

Like on this Black frame(Google pic)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't wait to see the progress on this build. Looks like it's going to be a badass machine.

Don't know the dimensions of the ZX-7 frame, but I bet there's something out there on the Internet.

Thanks Predator! :D hopefully it will be one time next spring. I took a look at your bike also:party-smiley: really nice. Is it a 2008 zx6r tail you got on it??

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Thanks Predator! :D hopefully it will be one time next spring. I took a look at your bike also:party-smiley: really nice. Is it a 2008 zx6r tail you got on it??
Appreciate it mate! The tail on mine is off of a 2009 6R. It's a very narrow subframe and there's about a 5/8 in. gap between the frame and subframe, but it looks great.

Looking through google images I saw some R6 and R1 tails and some 6R tails that look nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Predator6 :D
How did you mount the narrow subframe on the original frame. Some spacers in between?

For now i am just gonna use the RR tail on my bike. But later on i would really like. 2010- z1000 or some sort

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not so much happening these days. As you all know, Christmas is closing in:party-smiley:
But have made a sketch for my girlfriend so she can go and cut out some New mounts for my subframe on work this week.

Also got some New parts in the mail. + clamps and new bars.

Need some new bars. But i like the look. Maybe i will buy some with more lift.

The Rear swingarm didn't come off easy. Had to make a tierce? Not sure what you call it :p

Little off topic :p but i got a new rack for my garden hose. Its a 20x9" rim from a 2015 Volvo xc90. I thought it looked awesome!

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Nice Predator6 :D
How did you mount the narrow subframe on the original frame. Some spacers in between?

For now i am just gonna use the RR tail on my bike. But later on i would really like. 2010- z1000 or some sort
Looking good mate. I had some guidance in making the mounts, but they're 2 1/4 in. aluminum plates bolted together with some spacers to account for the gap. I'll get a pic up later.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Not so much happening these days. As you all know, Christmas is closing in:party-smiley:

Little off topic :p but i got a new rack for my garden hose. Its a 20x9" rim from a 2015 Volvo xc90. I thought it looked awesome!

ah ha ! yerra TRUE FIGHTAH !:rock:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking good mate. I had some guidance in making the mounts, but they're 2 1/4 in. aluminum plates bolted together with some spacers to account for the gap. I'll get a pic up later.
Thank you :D i would like that!
i have cut out some mounts for my tail now. gonna weld them on thursday

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you guys make you custom tail and seat fit your tank and everything? Do you modify your already existing sub frame or make a new one? Same with seat?

Not satisfied with my new mounts for the subframe. Think im gonna redo it. But the sub frame is already cut to pieces.
I also bought the RR tail for the 92mod before i desided i wanted the 93-95 mod tank. So that also needs work

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
i made a new subframe and seat but i had to as my subframe was welded on from factory so cut it off n made a lighter smaller one...as for your position it looks like you could easily make your stock seat fit with little modification!

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
When I was swapping the tail I had to cut out the existing rungs or whatever you call them on the subframe. Left a nice spot for a bracket and then the holes were drilled to line the tank up with the seat. I didn't have to much thankfully.

As Dan said you might be able to get away with using your stock seat by just adding foam padding to the front of the seat to fill in the gap. Then custom weld a block onto the subframe for the tank. Just my .02.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys! many ways to do things.
But i got my hands on another seat, so i will se witch of does fit the best, and then reweld the rear subframe after christmas :)
Btw: more parts on the way. i am done with christmas presents, so at this point i am better at buying presents to the bike instead!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been a long time! but i am not lost :)
Got lots done over christmas, so i will update you guys!

Cleaned up the engine real good, not goona do much to it this season. Also made som eu block off plates on the top cover as you can see.
[/url]

Made some small 10mm aluminium squares, just for strenghtning under the top yoke.
[/url]

Thieft proof, almost! Worst bolts on the ignition.
[/url]

New disks on the wheels.

Got myself a new tail, seat and rear section fitted

Why do i get this message from the quick uploader - you have exceeded the number of files allowed to you?
I have a lot more, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used something called "Nilfisk HD Wash". Not sure if this is available global. But it is a very strong sunstance you can use to Wash engines, rims, chain, parts etc.

Pictures from progress. The tail May be to fat. But it works for now. Will put things more togheter and see how it looks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts