Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried a S/M with a 500cc singal 2stroke?

I ask because I just rember I built a KX500 with a GSXR1100 front end with clip-on's, and lowered stock swing arm using 17" rims F&R. I test rode it 3-4 times for a total of 20 miles. and it handled good. just looked wearid. And seeing some of the customs on here weird seams to be a good thing. So do you think this was a good thing or a missmatch? (the owner was ecstatic with the results)

I think it would of made one hell of a drag bike.

Jay

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
i always thought about it. Had 2-3 usd front ends around my shop pretty much all the time and i was servicing my stock forks... i almost mocked them up...

But i can't bring my self to lose all that travel in the "stock" suspension..... plus the snowball of swapping parts turns into a specific-use-can't-go-back-easily-get-me-into-trouble-quicker bike. (of which i have plenty already)

I've seen it done on an xr650 though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's on hold while I'm overseas but I'm building an xr650r single that is fit in a crf450 frame. Could easily throw all that stuff on my cr500s/m. It's been done before with a ktm 550 in a rs250 roller. Also there have been one or two cr500 super singles.

When you're building a supersingle out of a dirt bike it's just important to get rake and trailing angle right. I'm using gsxr600 forks and rear on my xr650 single. It's a lot easier to just transfer the engine to a roller so all that is worked out for you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have any pics strickley because I built it in about 3 days at the owners request. And I had barley enough time to complete it and make it something I would feel comfortable saying it came out of our shop. It was a simple build, KX 500 with a new piston and basic motor inspection, GSXR 1100 front with a singal rotor (320mm) with a Brembo gold line brake using clip-ons and a dropped to mach rear end.
The reason I even brought it up was because it was soo weird that I didn't have to sit back and look at it. I just wanted some thought from the CF people if it was worth doing agen.

I question the build because it was made to owners exact specs. And quite frankley I knew he was a for real heroin addict.
But I sold one of our first bikes to a known heroin addict. and that went ok.

I don't discriminate, there money is just as green as anyone's. (but the KX500 I question looking back not because it dident look good and work well, but because I dident think of a way to make it better. looking back I think I should of found a way to bring out the drag bike potential a bit more.

I first started to question the use of it when the owner picked it up in his Land Rover opend up the back and threw it in there on its side. (careless) :nuts:

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Why would you use a 500cc 2T single as a drag bike? There are MANY better options for that out there. I'd think the best use for something like that would be a road course, supermoto track, or a back road burner.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would you use a 500cc 2T single as a drag bike? There are MANY better options for that out there. I'd think the best use for something like that would be a road course, supermoto track, or a back road burner.
Well It was built as a S/M and as I tested it, It preformed well enough for me to deliver with confidence. But as I look back, and with wide blends of a SF here in the CF family to give a valued opinion. I cant help but to entertain the Ideal of it as a drag bike, knowing the powerband is the definition of peakey, I feel that the right hands it could be a worthy tool at a strip.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I rode a friend's CR/AF 500 recently, and I have seen a few sm/500 2t's built on supermoto junkie. They do seem to make a good street sm. After coming off that bike the one thing that would drive me crazy is the vibrations in the bars. It was fucking bad! I don't know how long I could last on the street before getting sick of it.

But that being said it's a problem that can be worked on and helped I'm sure. One thing for sure is I wouldn't have my license for long if I had a cr/af 500 supermoto...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the only problem i have when putting my 2t on the street is.... i can't behave.

I pulled it from "legal" street duty and put the dirt stuff back on. It needs to live in high rpms. :D
Ill give you guys that its either ON or off. lol (and clip-ons dont help the vibrations much)

Ps im on S/M junkies and DML under "A-style" as well as the Aprilia fourm as "canes81" and Ducati.org as Hurricane Racing... I was on the Ducati.ms but there meadaiters are fucking panizes. (and spelling NAZI's lol)

Thanks for your input all. I love the Ape RS250 and I think that with 500cc smoker would be something else (perhaps my next track bike.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah the vibration definitely doesn't make it a long distance bike. I normally get on mine and blast around for an hour. Put it away before any law enforcement shows up. Soccer moms love to call it in because to them some maniac is riding a dirt bike on the roads lol.

Mine is ported to where the power band isn't terribly peaky. Your pipe makes a big difference too. My fmf fatty used to be bad however the pro circuit i have has a nice mid range pull. It makes it almost linear with the porting and bigger carb. Still pulls like a freight train though. A cr500 or kx500 super single with clip ons would be rough on your wrists. There really isn't a good way to get ride of the vibration.

Reactions: F'dup

·
BLACK BELT
7,072 Posts
It's been done many times (also with the CR500), always with the same results - an extremely fun bike to ride for about an hour on the street. Beyond that, you'll probably be miserable from vibration.

Why not do it right with an RZ350/Banshee 500cc engine? Been done many times with the RS250.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
smoker said half an hour. i'll say about 20 mins. unless you live in the mountains and know a buddy with a truck.

premixing, fouling plugs, top end rebuilds, losing compression, no street manners unless wot, rigging lights, ect ect ect. 15mpg if you are lucky.

2 stroke 500 supermotards are for road courses with no significant straights. not your little retard go cart track or a nascar oval.

if you buy one, get a clean vin and vermont it. Good luck not getting pulled over randomly.

state troopers always pulled over my dr650 with a 6.6 gallon gas tank lolz.

"scuuze me sir. no dirtbikes on da road"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts