Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Fighter, I know, but I've been waiting awhile to do this and I figure some of you will find it entertaining.

I've been talking about doing this for awhile, and I've had alot of people laugh, tell me it's pointless, tell me I'll never start it, or never complete it, etc. Well, here you go haters, I'm doing it.

Uber Dirty: 1996 KTM300exc engine going into a 2004 KXF250 chassis.

I started tonight for the first time. Got a decent start, looks promising:

Here's the messy garage:

Here's the donor bike. I rode it a week ago, took me about a half hour to get the engine out, here's how it looks:

Better look at the donor frame/engine mounts:

Front cradle:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the engine, looks filthy right here, but it's actually extremely low time, prob under 20 hours since brand new, and about 10-15 hours on a brand new top end with new plating. Def needs a good cleaning. I'm also gonna replace the countershaft seal and shift shaft seal. They are notorious on these KTM for several years.

Box o parts, I need to get a dent out of the pipe, and the shock needs service. I'm not sure which shock I should use. I'm not even sure if I have a choice. I'll prob have to use the OE kawi shock.

Here's the lucky recipient, 2004 kxf250, same bike as RMZ250 2004-2006

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This should be fun to watch....
Hopefully it will be fun to ride, I'm pretty sure it will be.

It will be fun to build, and that's half the fun for me.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Hopefully it will be fun to ride, I'm pretty sure it will be.

It will be fun to build, and that's half the fun for me.
This is true building is about as much fun as riding this time of year, this summer though that will change

Reactions: RatFighter

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KTM swinger pivot:

KXF swinger pivot:

Caliper shows width of KXF engine:

PO screwed up the clicker, hopefully that's not a sign of a big internal problem. I plan on rebuilding them anyway, so if possible, I'll replace that part. These forks are the late model KYB bladder forks. I've heard the bladder system is not great, but they are supposedly really good when converted to open bath. I'll prob seek some advice revalving them and do that myself. From what I understand, basic changes aren't too complicated. More on that later.

Caliper shows the corresponding distance in the kxf chassis from the swinger edge to center of chain.

·
Bazinga!
2,604 Posts
i agree shmitty. this is goin to be an awesome build. streetable i hope

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dirt first, hopefully street later!!!!!

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know where I can get that clicker?

It isn't real clear to me on the microfiche.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
92009 looks like the bleeder screw to me.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The parts list refers to that as a nut, I'm kinda stumped here. I don't have room in my garage to take the fork apart yet, i need to throw the xr4 engine back in first and finish working on dad's 250mxc

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stripped the kxf down to the bare frame and I'm working on matching the engine to the swinger.

It's a challenge to say the least. I'll post more pics soon, but i'll need to bore out the engine mount to fit the kxf swinger pivot. An 11/16" drill bit is .6875", do you think that's too much clearance? McMaster-Carr sells badass carbide tipped straight fluted bits that would make a reamer quality hole, but I'm not sure if it's worth $68 to drill one hole, lol.

That's only half the challenge though. I need to get some clearance horizontally also, and i def can't take it all off the engine cases. I may take some, and for that I'm looking at tools like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-STRAIGHT-SHAN...075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb5a4b8d3

but I def need to get some space out of the swinger, so i need to either find a narrower seal, or shift the bearing in the swinger, which would require a custom bushing and cutting of another bushing and another special countersink. I'll need to post pics to clarify.

So how much clearance do you think for swinger pivot? any helpful thoughts elsewhere?

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stripped her naked:

Real fun starts:

Mock up with KTM pivot:

Tank clears fine:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
closer look at downtube cutaway.

Not so lucky here:

Looks good closed:

Pic shows interference:

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been struggling with the engine/swinger mating.

I think I finally made a decision, I got a 21/32" drill bit and new stock sized bearings and seals for the swingarm. I still need to remove some material from the right side. I think I'll try to take up a little off the bushing, a little off the thrust bearing washers, and the rest off the engine case. I still need a way to take metal off the side of the case. I need a facing tool of some kind. Or a giant counterbore.

real updates coming soon.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday I ordered the correct 17mm drill bit, and a 1" countersink tool with a 5/8 pilot to use as a spot facing tool to remove metal from the case sides.

Tools should be here monday or tuesday.

Ordered a swingarm bearing kit from ebay and the kit is missing more than half the stuff. I contacted the seller but I'm not sure yet what he's gonna do to fix it. Hopefully that works out all right. At the moment I'm pissed. If he fixes it, I'm ok.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts