Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my little brother wrecked his bike and it broke the right side engine cover and bent the bolt that goes into the crank i got a new one and now it wont start i dint really know much about points or how to set them. it does sound like it catches for a split second some times but most of the time it sounds like its getting no spark at all

·
382 Posts
pull a spark plug and lay it on the head with the wire attached. Crank engine, spark or no spark?

Four things to make an engine run. At least 100psi compression, air, fuel, spark. The rest just dictates how well it runs.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
points points points.

Timing is very crucial on these 650 motors.

The points gap on the 650 is .015

Without a timing light, you can rotate the engine slowly until the points hit the very top of the cam lobe. This will be the maximum open setting. From here, you can use the feeler gauge to set the point cap. Loosen the screw,set the gap,then re-tighten the screw.

Also you probably need to clean the points using 2000 grit sand paper in between the points. VERY light until there is optimal contacts with the "circles" of the points. To finish cleaning the points need the dust wiped off.

The best way i have found is to wipe a piece of paper folded up and drag it thru the points until it doesn't make a mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts