Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Juggernaut
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the kz1300 inline six, questions about the modification possibilities. My quesions are as follows
Best compression and bore for efficiency, power and longevity? And best places and part #s to get the gaskets, kits etc. (I'd like something easily available and not requiring new sleeves and massive work)
Carburetor setups. What works best for a daily fighter to scare people and make them wonder that sound is?
Camshafts, best replacements? Setups and measurements?
The idler gear, where do I get the best replacements,
Shortcuts and upgrades on tensioners and chains?
Valve upgrades?
Pistons and rings?
Basically anything I can do while having the engine already in full disassembly, as I need to renew it, revive it, and make it a proud specimen of 1979 engineering meeting 2014 technology.

Also some tips on the transmission, clutch and the like.

My goal is 135-150+ hp, and about an equal addition in torque at stock rpm, anything in that range or better is gravy on my boat.
Also I know they upgraded the sump and other components, any part number and brands I should invest in getting the replacements for as this is pre upgrades:nuts:

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I have the kz1300 inline six, questions about the modification possibilities. My quesions are as follows
Best compression and bore for efficiency, power and longevity? And best places and part #s to get the gaskets, kits etc. (I'd like something easily available and not requiring new sleeves and massive work)
Carburetor setups. What works best for a daily fighter to scare people and make them wonder that sound is?
Camshafts, best replacements? Setups and measurements?
The idler gear, where do I get the best replacements,
Shortcuts and upgrades on tensioners and chains?
Valve upgrades?
Pistons and rings?
Basically anything I can do while having the engine already in full disassembly, as I need to renew it, revive it, and make it a proud specimen of 1979 engineering meeting 2014 technology.

Also some tips on the transmission, clutch and the like.

My goal is 135-150+ hp, and about an equal addition in torque at stock rpm, anything in that range or better is gravy on my boat.
Also I know they upgraded the sump and other components, any part number and brands I should invest in getting the replacements for as this is pre upgrades:nuts:
mebee this mate.
http://www.mrturbo.com/customer-gallery/kawasaki/richard_fluttert/richard_fluttert.html

·
Registered
740 Posts
I won't say nobody, but in the time I've been here I haven't seen any. I think I've only ever seen one in person. They just didn't sell very many of them in the US, and after 30 years even fewer have survived. If you haven't looked through this, I think it's probably your best bet for kz13 specific info.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
No one on here does kz1300s?

As you know my brother is building one, he's been ultra busy (and was being a royal asshole to me for a few weeks there because he was stressed out) but I can give him a call tonight and see where he got his parts from.

There was rumor of KZ900 or 1000 pistons (can't remember what ones they were, maybe it was KZ650 pistons?) that are a direct swap and bump up the KZ1300 to the first overbore size. They are far easier to find. If I remember right, my brother had to buy his 1300 pistons and rings from guy in Africa that had a stash of them. So he polished the domes and balanced them with the rotating assembly to get the most from his money.

A 20-30hp increase over what they are rated at factory is going to eat up clutches. Might want to invest in a cover spacer and a snowflake style lockup assembly. But that is if you are going to really be spinning the big six to the peak on a regular basis or launching it hard from a dead dig often, the sooner that clutch hooks up the better it will be on the bike overall.

·
Juggernaut
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you know my brother is building one, he's been ultra busy (and was being a royal asshole to me for a few weeks there because he was stressed out) but I can give him a call tonight and see where he got his parts from.

There was rumor of KZ900 or 1000 pistons (can't remember what ones they were, maybe it was KZ650 pistons?) that are a direct swap and bump up the KZ1300 to the first overbore size. They are far easier to find. If I remember right, my brother had to buy his 1300 pistons and rings from guy in Africa that had a stash of them. So he polished the domes and balanced them with the rotating assembly to get the most from his money.

A 20-30hp increase over what they are rated at factory is going to eat up clutches. Might want to invest in a cover spacer and a snowflake style lockup assembly. But that is if you are going to really be spinning the big six to the peak on a regular basis or launching it hard from a dead dig often, the sooner that clutch hooks up the better it will be on the bike overall.
It was the kz650/4 pistons, however I found the big bore kit that does the same thing, I gave a guy from dreads an email and he dished up some knowledge on it. Including links to the kit on ebay. As for spinning it, no, but I want to pull up on some kids around here who Cruise the local bike night and give them a little highway show. And I dont intend on attracting unwanted police attentionby burning holes into the asphalt. I just want that power so its available in the midrange

1 - 9 of 9 Posts