Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading over Matteblack's thread for the sheet metal break, I ran across this page.

Lathe Plans

They're primarilly for small hobby lathes. The plans are pulled from magazines printed in the 50's but the idea still works. Could easily be modified to make a larger lathe. Parts seem cheap enough as well. I started pricing it out last night. You could easily build one for around $200-300 depending where you sourced material from. If you're lucky enough to have plenty of usable scrap around this thing could cost pocket change.

The hardest part would be making sure it was true, or damn close. But for small light work it could be super handy.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I've seen some very accurate machines built that way. not my first choice, but it could work in a pinch.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
DUDE, is that a bridgeport with the ancient Heidenhain controller?

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I used to run a couple ancient bridgeports with heidenhain controllers, even a couple with interact's on em. I hated those machines. one was an 84 the other was an 85. those things defined "ridden hard and put away wet"

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,235 Posts
I used to run a couple ancient bridgeports with heidenhain controllers, even a couple with interact's on em. I hated those machines. one was an 84 the other was an 85. those things defined "ridden hard and put away wet"
Would still be nice for a personal shop though. :rock:

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
oh and its an anilam controller.

the lathe and mill belong to the guy i rent my house from. i also work with the guy and he has a 3car garage at his other house but not enough room for these. I can use them for whatever(since thats what i do for a living) he knows me and knows i wont be hard on his stuff. He picked up the cnc for 2k i think. It works great but i think the belt slips for the encoders on the x-y every once and awhile and looses its coordinates. I had it do this once when i was making my mcct. But i have made several other parts on it with no issues. Everything is manual G code because i dont have any cam software at home so it takes a long time to manually program complex parts.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,235 Posts
Everything is manual G code because i dont have any cam software at home so it takes a long time to manually program complex parts.

I feel for ya. At work if i need to make something for personal use, i'll write it out manually.

Good thing i'm paid hourly;)

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
manual g-code is fun in a wierd "I like doing trig for the fun of it" sort of way (which I do actually). lol

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
thankfully this machine has a graphics driver in it so there is visual code help, which pops up a drawing on the screen and lets you input your numbers, basically into a macro. it will also display the "graphics" before you cut anything.

At work i get to use a vector drive haas 4th axis and i hae 3 different cam programs to choose from! much more fun.

here was a test part i made on teh 4th axis at work.

i had to use 3axis cam software and trick it by rotating the part x number of degrees but it worked out.

this is the kind of stuff i get to machine at work

its a camera housing for a vehicle

cad rendering of a different version

here was the mcct i made on that ancient machine with manual code

shock res clamp

chain roller so my chain doesnt rub the frame when i let off the gas

i also used it to recontour the front edge of my upper triple and remove the key cylinder casting.

its been more than helpful with this bike. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts