Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone reading this want to machine me a collar to press onto the stem and then into the lower triple? Preferably have done it before and able to ship it to me ASAP so I can reassemble. Still need help!

'00 R6 Stem Diameter:

'07 ZX6R Lower Triple Diameter:

For reference here is the diameter of the ZX6R stem:

For reference here is the equivalent height of the ZX6R lower triple:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
There is no way you're ever going to press a stem into the triple when there is a .019" difference in size. I'd suggest double checking your measurements to make sure you didn't pick up on a burr and that you're measuring where the press fit magic actually happens.

·
Read Only
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get what you're referencing - forgive my novice-ness - picture 1 goes into picture 2. I need to fill the almost 0,2 inches difference.

Picture 3 is the old stem that was pressed out of picture 2. If I'm reading right you are saying the different in the two measurements should be larger in order to have them actually be pressed together - I will remeasure in the AM to make sure there wasn't anything on there.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I don't get what you're referencing - forgive my novice-ness - picture 1 goes into picture 2. I need to fill the almost 0,2 inches difference.

Picture 3 is the old stem that was pressed out of picture 2. If I'm reading right you are saying the different in the two measurements should be larger in order to have them actually be pressed together - I will remeasure in the AM to make sure there wasn't anything on there.
He was saying the opposite. There's no way you're going to be able to press a 1.395" stem into a 1.376" hole. 20 thousandths is a huge difference. Even the tightest press fits are under .003" interference.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Read Only
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that is the one it came out of, and it was in there. And that was the OEM set up. Still looking for someone to make the part too :/

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
What RG is saying is to triple check your measurements. Either the measurement of the old stem or hole is incorrect as there is no way the stem is that much larger than the hole. Need correct measurements in order for someone to make the spacer you need.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
There is no way the factory sent a bike out with a fit like that because there is no way that stem would have ever stayed in the lower triple (because it would have never fit to begin with). Put the caliper further into the triple and tilt the caliper forward and back to find the largest number and then move up and down to get the true size. On the steering stem grab the caliper by the jaws and gently squeeze them together over the stem. You might have the calipers cocked a little when you take the photo which is why it could be so big. My guess is you just aren't holding the caliper square.

Either way DB designs does great work. You won't be disappointed if you have him make the spacer... assuming he gets correct measurements to work off of.

·
Read Only
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just getting a triple CNC'd
was gonna happen eventually - just sped up the time frame I suppose. Thanks DB Designs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts