Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having one hell of a time dialing in this rack of carbs. Motor is a 98 and the carb rack is off an 03. Holeshot stage 2 jet kit and dual K&N's, full yosh exhaust and chopped can

I followed Dales instructions to a T. But for some stupid reason I'm staying lean on the bottom end and had 2 carbs dumping gas out their fronts. Spoke with him on the phone and he was convinced that there was a problem with the floats. Either not set correctly, sticking or something else. Took about a month to figure it out, but the floats themselves were bad. Bought new and I'm no longer dumping gas and all are accepting proper float level.

However, I'm still lean at idle and cruise. Installed the larger 17.5 pilots in the kit and I'm sill lean. The air/fuel screws are maxed out at 4.25 turns already.

If I'm on the throttle and or wide open, she pulls like a champ. So I'm confident in my main jet and needle settings. I'm getting really tired of pulling this carb rack to make adjustments though. And for the past couple weeks I've been riding with the choke slightly on to ritchen the bottom end.

I have a set of 27.5 pilots, but I'm wondering if that will be too big of a jump? Or should I raise the needle half a clip? Struggling to determine what my next step should be. Any help would be great

·
Basement Fighterer
420 Posts
Mine was lean at cruise and I've raised the needles a couple different times with improvements each time. It would struggle to get past 4k rpm until the motor was hot and it was not very responsive when I made my exhaust vid. Mine is an 01 with slip on and stage 2 air box kit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Not much to add but just letting you know that it sucks to pull these damn racks.

My 1100 Kat is lean as all hell at idle and lean crusing too. I'm planning to up the pilots as well. But to me(I'm not an expert) that seems like a big jump. You checking it with a wide band or reading plugs?

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Littering And...........
1,073 Posts
Unfortunately it's best to go one size up with pilots. Not as much as you were going to go. I've heard rule of thumb for carved bikes is up 3 mains, up one pilot. I've stuck to that jetting style for all my bikes and have worked fairly well.

And pulling the carbs sucks. But I bet you're a pro by now! Yeah? Shit I know I am. It sucks. But once it's set right, and you crack that throttle from idle it'll be awesome.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been running a wideband and going by how the bike responds. Haven't read the plugs recently, have to pull the harnesses, projector ballasts, coils, and a crossmember just to have access to them. This motor is a real tight squeeze in this kat frame.

I was thinking that the 27.5 pilots would be a large jump. I guess the main reason I brought it up was the fact that Fast Larrys site called for them specifically and that I pulled them from this rack originally.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts