Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my last post asking about getting a cheap Arc welder I have gone one better.

I have enrolled in a ten week Welding course that teaches you the basic of all types of welding including Arc, Mig and Tig and after the course is over im looking to get a combo Mig welder that does gas and non gas :)

CANT FUCKIN WAIT!!!

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear that. Welding is a great skill to have, it's one of the few things that can't be outsourced.
Post up your first beads and let's see what you can do!

·
BoObieS
40 Posts
Those are good classes and give you a solid foundation of how to weld and what to look for in a good weld. The best teacher for welding is practice! I still practice on scrap pieces before I start laying beads on a bike, car etc.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys :) really cant wait to learn! il upload some of my progress so you can see how shite I am and if i get any less-shite haha

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Goodoya Dan' get that skill of pat and ya will be sooooo happy mate !:party-smiley:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
had the fun 2 hour safety talk lesson this week so start learning to mig weld next week then if i get good quick enough i can learn oxyacetylene welding and arc welding :) seriously loving it so far!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Man... I started welding with a torch. I felt like a NASA engineer when I got that old Craftsman buzzbox. Once I finally got a MIG I realized just how damn simple it made things ( and makes you lazy :D ) Lucky dog, You start on a MIG you're gonna get spoiled. lol. But definitely dedicate yourself to learn, truly learn, to weld with a torch or a stick. You're gonna need it if you ever wanna weld outside.

Congrats and kudos, Dan. Have fun, dude.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont think i will ever use oxyacetylene welding so Mig and Stick is what il be doing. next lesson is monday so will hopefully get some pics of how bad my first ever attempt at welding goes!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well first go at MIG welding tonight! FOOKIN LOVED IT! wasnt told what settings to use etc only got told what to look for and to figure it out...i wont show my first few welds as they truly were awful wrong setting etc but...

after an hour welding I can hold my hand up and happily say I did this weld and repeated it several times in succession

may not be amazing but teacher told me it was a solid structural weld so was happy with myself! Now im gonna buy an auto-darkening helmet as tried one tonight n found it 100x easier to use than a standard one

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fun game ain't it
wish Id started sooner! now time to figure out best 240v mig welder that runs on a 13amp fuse for sub £250 so I can start welding up my own subframes etc after the course :)

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Find yourself a used Lincoln weldpack. A little searching should bring up a few in that price range. But then you need a bottle and gauges too if you want to mig rather than use flux cored wire.

·
3,993 Posts
^And you DO want to run gas, not flux core.

Looking pretty good there bud! I'm glad to hear they're teaching you that way, you'll be much better off. I know a few guys that can weld perfect beads all day long - until you change their settings, and then they're fucking lost.

Off the bat I have 2 hopefully-constructive comments.
1. Without knowing your settings, how thick that material and bead are, or being able to see much detail in the bead, what stands out to me most in the pic is the undercut. When you MIG weld, you're kind of cutting material away and then filling it back in, and not quite in the exact same instance. If your travel speed or voltage is too high, or you wire speed too low, you'll find that the wire won't completely fill the void you're creating (you're not giving the wire enough time to fill it, or you're melting away more than you can fill, respectively). So, take a look at your settings... adjust one parameter at a time and see what works.
2. Stay consistent on your travel speed. Looking at the bead on the other side of the plate, it's much heavier in the first portion indicating you were moving more slowly there. Consistency is key.

Try counting in your head as your lay your pattern (I'm assuming you're welding short-circuit not spray-arc). I still do a "one-two" or "one-two-three" count, depending on what I'm doing, in my head as I weld.

·
3,993 Posts
Also, I can't tell if you were pushing or pulling your bead. You *should* be pushing, but pulling is often times easier for new welders and will help fill in some of that undercut.
But you should be pushing.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Dan mind if I chime in as well, looking for tips on how to improve myself. Pretty much self-taught apart from one class at school somewhere in prehistory which has then been proved to have caused more harm than good...

My welds shouldn't come down to equipment since a few years ago when we bought the house we now live in I was left with some spare from the deposit so I decided to spend some of it on a good mig rig, walzed into the local pro shop and told them I need a welder but I can't weld, to what the seller said not to worry this thing can:

So I walked out of the shop with a complete starter kit including an autodark mask, gloves, a reel of was it .8 or 1mm wire, gas bottle, trolley and the machine: the Kemppi MinArcMig EVO 200, pretty much the flagship model of the 220v series. Cost me 1600eur which stung a bit but the thing is absolutely awesome, completely digital, all you do is set the material thickness and weld away, the machine does all the adjustments for you. The thing is I'm absolutely certain I'm not using but a small fraction of the machine's potential, hell I can't even lay a continuous bead but do the coin-row thing instead which I'm told is not ideal with MIG because of the magnetic wash leaving cavities into the weld. I can stick two pieces of metal together and even make the seams look decent, I have for example welded my crash cage from scratch, I'm just worried about the structural integrity of the seams and would like to improve myself. Thinking about signing up for a class some day if time permits.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cheers rubbersdown...from what Ive gathered I will get a much more capable welder for the price from a second hand industrial welder than I will from a new hobby welder!

Mcantar...definitely going to go down the gas route as I have seen the difference between a gas weld and a flux core weld! That material was two overlapping 3mm plate and I had it on 5v setting (on a range from 1-8) and had wire speed at 4...seemed to be the right sounding weld however I do need to slow down slightly more or stay consistent speed which Im sure I will improve on over time practicing :) And I was pushing as taught so I'm right handed and I'm pushing weld from right to left

Feel free to nosey in mattson as the more advice we can get the better!

does anyone know what I can run on a 13amp plug as my house won't get a 30amp dedicated as dad wouldn't allow it...some people seem to say a 16amp plugged welder will work fine on a 13amp so long as I'm not running flat out for long...

all I really need of a welder is ability to weld up subframes and plates so my max thickness will probably be 3mm at most? maybe a bit more one day if i build bigger better bikes etc

·
3,993 Posts
Alright now I'm a bit lost. What's the "4" translate to in inches per minute?
I've also never seen a MIG go down that low in power. I'm pretty out of my element here with 5V.

I've always ran my MIG's between 12-24V with wire speed between 80-350 inches per minute... On our "small" welders at work we don't run lower than 25V and 280IPM, and we only use those for tacking crap together. On the MIG machines we use for actual welding, we run 26-32V and 350-550IPM, although that's spray transfer and you have to really hustle with your travel speed.

For 3mm plate, assuming a 75/25 or 80/20 shielding gas and .035 dia. solid core wire, I'd start my base settings at 275IPM and 17.5V and adjust from there as needed. With metal core wire you can turn the heat down a bit due to the higher current density.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts