Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ass
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished building LED headlights for my bike. Started with this build and tweaked it a little bit (and doubled it).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Twin-High-Power-LED-Motorcycle-Headlights/

Before: http://i.imgur.com/HbcxXjAh.jpg

After: http://i.imgur.com/C0drTcTh.jpg

full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/EEWSM

The pictures of the beams are with 2 of 4 on. All four is twice as bright (~ 2800 lumens)

The mounting hardware is just sheet aluminum cut and shaped with a dremel and steering dampener mounts. I used these http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/s2-24-02.htm and these http://www.speedmotoco.com/steering-damper-bracket-p/fc43.htm

The brushed steel "pill" is holding all the odds and ends of my wiring harness that was previously jammed into the rear of the headlight enclosure. I made it by cutting the tops off two stainless steel water bottles from REI and jamming them together. took quite a bit of negotiation as they were the same diameter.

Fun project! Building the LED modules themselves was only 1/4 of the work. The mounting hardware was actually the most of it and was quite tedious.

·
ass
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,353 Posts
Interesting. Looks like you did a good job. Come back after some night riding and give us a report on how you like them. Did you buy all the stuff the guy listed on the instructables?

...repped.

·
ass
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah - except for the brass bolts and stuff for mounting it to the bike. I took my own route with that. It was actually spendy -like $240 in parts (but i also bought 2x of whats listed)

I'll update after night riding, and try to get some shots with all four modules on a roadway.

·
Noob in training
114 Posts
yeah - except for the brass bolts and stuff for mounting it to the bike. I took my own route with that. It was actually spendy -like $240 in parts (but i also bought 2x of whats listed)

I'll update after night riding, and try to get some shots with all four modules on a roadway.
That'd be awesome

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
How hot do they really get? Could a Al or steel body be used instead of the copper? This might be just the thing ive been looking for!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Super cool, looks bad-ass. Do you have it wired so two are low beam, and the other two come on with high beam?

How's the actual nighttime visibility with them? I imagine with 2800 lumens it throws pretty far. The only tough part with LEDs is getting a good focus of the light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great stuff! Neat trick to have a small form factor, heatsink & enclosure all in one. I've seen a similar tube enclosure heatsink used as a pushbike light, didn't think it would be too good on a motorbike but you've done well, looks great!

Can I check a couple of details - did you stick with the XM-L LEDs? Or did you upgrade to a more recent (and even more efficient/brighter) option? Although looking at the comparison on Instructables it doesn't seem like more light is needed! Also what current are you driving your LEDs at, did you use the same 2100mA driver? Looking at the driver datasheet the LEDs on the Instructables comparison shots would be driven at 2100mA (since the dimming wires are not connected, the driver outputs it's full rated current). Good to know to get an idea of what kind of light those LEDs put out at a certain current. I'm impressed...

One other thing I'm wondering is how you wired up your lights so that only two come on for low beam and all four for high beam? Did you use a 2nd driver to activate the remaining 2 lights? Or just wire in a switch between the driver and 2 of the lights? (I'm trying to think how to do this, but I think it's too late and my brain wants to sleep...)

Have you thought of a way to restrict the beam if needed? I have been thinking you could just mask off a section, then spray the lens directly with Plastidip. Easy to do and removable, no damage to the lens (hopefully).

Anyway good stuff - thanks for posting this!

·
ass
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How hot do they really get? Could a Al or steel body be used instead of the copper? This might be just the thing ive been looking for!
they get warm to the touch, but thats about it. Dunno about Al, but I imagine steel would work too. Isn't steel more thermally conductive than copper? I think the build only suggested copper because its easier to cut shape and join.

Super cool, looks bad-ass. Do you have it wired so two are low beam, and the other two come on with high beam?
I tried, but the circuity for that is too complex. requires an electrical component in order to regulate flow - preventing it from powering the second set of lights while in low beam (since they're all connected through the highbeam circuit + ground). I may do some research to figure out how to do that later, but unless im blinding folks, I probably wont worry about it too much.

How's the actual nighttime visibility with them? I imagine with 2800 lumens it throws pretty far. The only tough part with LEDs is getting a good focus of the light.
Heh, I don't know yet. I keep forgetting to take it out and about on a proper night ride. I took it up and down my alley the night i finished, and the distance seemed good/excellent, but we'll see once we're up to highway speeds.

·
ass
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great stuff! Neat trick to have a small form factor, heatsink & enclosure all in one. I've seen a similar tube enclosure heatsink used as a pushbike light, didn't think it would be too good on a motorbike but you've done well, looks great!

Can I check a couple of details - did you stick with the XM-L LEDs? Or did you upgrade to a more recent (and even more efficient/brighter) option? Although looking at the comparison on Instructables it doesn't seem like more light is needed! Also what current are you driving your LEDs at, did you use the same 2100mA driver? Looking at the driver datasheet the LEDs on the Instructables comparison shots would be driven at 2100mA (since the dimming wires are not connected, the driver outputs it's full rated current). Good to know to get an idea of what kind of light those LEDs put out at a certain current. I'm impressed...

One other thing I'm wondering is how you wired up your lights so that only two come on for low beam and all four for high beam? Did you use a 2nd driver to activate the remaining 2 lights? Or just wire in a switch between the driver and 2 of the lights? (I'm trying to think how to do this, but I think it's too late and my brain wants to sleep...)
I pretty much stuck with whatever was in the recipe. I am not electrically minded so I was just trusting the guy who put it together :)

I was not actually able to wire them up to come on 2 for low and 4 for high. Thats a bit outside my skill set, but I got a buddy who does high voltage wiring that could probably point me in the right direction. The photo with just two lights up was done before i had mounted the second set.

Have you thought of a way to restrict the beam if needed? I have been thinking you could just mask off a section, then spray the lens directly with Plastidip. Easy to do and removable, no damage to the lens (hopefully).
thats not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot if it becomes necessary.

·
All of the above.
153 Posts
Copper is more conductive when it comes to constant heat dissipation.

·
All of the above.
153 Posts
Nice and Bright - Good depth - I dont think its too high; Plus its your ass if you skid cause dimm light so fook em, You wont be in their field of vision for long. Nice work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts