Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I used a square LED lamp from DDM Tuning as a headlight for a while. Worked pretty well as a low beam riding around town or well-lit highways. It was really thin so that was good. I would try to get two with different beam patterns so you can have high/low still.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Unless its designed as a headlight, it almost certainly throws way to much light at other driver's eyes. If you shine a purpose made headlight at a wall you see that nearly all the light hits below eye level, ideally with a sharp cut off to ensure that below that level you are still throwing a lot of light down the road. Work lights and "driving lights" typically have a beam pattern with even, fairly gradual cut-off in all directions. That's OK (even good) for off road driving and making sure people see you coming, but is not friendly to oncoming drivers, and not very efficient in terms of lighting up the road.

I'd love to use some lights like that myself, and will probably get one and see what it looks like. To fix the vertical cutoff isue, I plan to build a louver that goes in front of the light and blocks light that would be directed to eye level or above, but still allows the rest to reach the road. Would be my secondary light, I'd still want a regular DOT headlight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
A lot of these lights accept anything from 5 to 30 volt and have dc converters built in. A simple pot won't dim them unless you mod it to control the output of the internal power supply.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
740 Posts
Some guy that goes to the local bike nights has three led bars on the front of his bike. Know those generator light plant trailers they use at construction sites? It's like one of those on the front of a bike. So I imagine it's a little annoying to other drivers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just wanted to share my experience with the led light bar because I got it to work for my bike. Heres a layout of how I wired mine up. I used an spdt relay from radioshack to switch between high and low.

Heres it installed and how it works:

Off:

Low beam:

High beam:

Phone doesn't give it justice at night:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts