Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been wanting to do remake my tail fairing for a while now to compleat the fighter look of my bike. i really like the look of the really tall, jacked up, almost spike looking tails some fighters have. I plan to shape it out of foam and fiberglass it, but first i have to have the tail light..

purchased the brightest colored LEDs I know exist

-5050 SMD chip LEDs, brightest kind used in common flexible LED srips.
(50 RED & 20 YELLOW)

the chips were to small to soder onto the circuit board so i had to use coper foil strips to atach + & - leads.

each chip cntains 3 LEDs that draw 20mA @ 2V so i used a 270ohm resistor for each one. each chip is in parallel to power supply.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
When you fiberglass, use the blocks of floral foam. I learned my lesson the first time with that spray foam.

I'm sure you're doing plenty of research, but I would definitely get the mold/foam nuts on, then lay a couple layers on top of that, let it cure, take it off, rough up the inside, and lay up layers until it's thick enough on the inside.

I laid 5 layers, one on top of the other, on top of imperfect spray foam and it shows. I'll have to do a lot of remediation work to get it to look right.

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this guy on youtube does a killer job, i plan on following in his steps on the fiberglass work, and practicaly gives step by step instructions.

should check it out, his whole series is pritty cool.

he uses pollyester insulation foam and later desolves away the inside.

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so a few of the yellow MCDs failed after i applied a few coats of a crapy electronics protection plastic. not exactly sure why..
The reds all still work fine, but they are not as brignt as i would have liked, so i removed them. im still going to use the red ones because they have a 120 degree viewing angle, but are only 1,500 mcd. i purchased some 26,000 mcd 5mm LEDs for the center strip, but they only have a 30 degree viewing angle, so ill have the best of both.

i cut appart the old circiut and will glue both halves on the top and bottom of the new one.

this tail light isnt exactly cost effective, but i have time on my hands and custom is what counts. I also came across some capacitors, 26400 uF worth @ 16V, that I will use to add a nice little feature to this baby that should frighten some old ladies or show some of my hatred for everyone that drives a car in the southern US. ill show you all when its more compleat.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
i have time on my hands and custom is what counts
This. This is the fighter mentality. We get wrapped up in the super technical swaps, machining, and really polished builds... Fighters are personal, and that makes them the best.

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the tail light is finished.. and its dope.

the 6's are in parallel with several capacitors and one diode, and glow for 3 seconds longer than the rest of the middle strip. the middle strip consists of 100, 26000mcd red 5mm LEDs 30 degree view @ 20mA, the top and bottom consist of 48, 1500mcd 5050 SMD's w/ 120 degree view, drawing 60mA each.

over all i am saticfied with the brightness now, i really like LEDs. would recomend them to anyone. got them all on ebay.

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would like not to have to hide this display behind a lense or plexi glass, so if anyone knows a good waterproofing method for this application please speak up :drinks:
cheers

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
i would like not to have to hide this display behind a lense or plexi glass, so if anyone knows a good waterproofing method for this application please speak up :drinks:
cheers
This is supposed to be great stuff...it's developed with Nano Tech technology, so shouldn't hurt your electronics/circuits/etc...Or, you can buy it at your local Home Depot...

http://www.amazon.com/Oleum-274232-Never-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00DNQBFAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382735295&sr=8-1&keywords=never+wet

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Just out of curiosity...how are you going to paint the board now that you have all the LED's installed? Or are you just going to leave it that pasty, 'vanilla wafer' color?

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks ill probaly try the stuff out on a diffrent circiut to test it.

well i wish i would have thought of painting the baord black before hand, but the light will sunken into the tail so hopefully you wont even see it untill it turns on.

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
decided against using more expencive and questionable waterproofing applicants, and just used more hot glue and some very thin plastic / plexiglass to cover it since it was already in the convient shape to do so.

doesnt look like the guys at NASA built it but it will do for me

·
StreetFighters UNITE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its been a wile and i have a few things done.

the foam cutter.

the foam to be cut. (Polystyrene) would recommend using a template for every cut mine is not geometrically perfect, will try to work most of that out later.

ready for fiberglass and epoxy resin (2:1 ratio used scale to measure)

pretty good so far.

and.

layer 2 and some new features. after some hard sanding and body filling.

geting real close. time for a nice long test ride. primer comes next.

what do you think peps? any input/comment? :rock:

·
Do a skid!
2,821 Posts
fucking cool

I love this!!

The bike is comin along fuckin ace!!
Got a side on pic? Like to see how that tail works out with the rest of the bike.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts