Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here but thought I would share my current build. I was into the streetfighter scene in a big way in the mid 90's and had a few bikes featured in the UK mag.
So the old passion for streetfighters has been on-going in some shape or form since, other than a small period of drifting back to the old two strokes....you can't escape the smell!
So here we have it, my mate had a rough exup for sale and decided to build a bike on a sensible budget rather than just throwing cash at her, now I'm committed to starting a thread I will get some pictures up loaded.....hopefully someone will get some thing from it :)....watch this space!

Pete

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looking forward to hear about your built. Hope to see something inspirational.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah, I wanna see some fzr1k pics too so I can feel better about my neck hurting!

Jon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will dig some out pictures out to give that old skool feeling back :)
Anyway here is the starter pic...single VFR arm in and pretty simple, I just cut down the existing FZR sleeve and a few other spacers. Lining up the offset shock wont be quite at easy

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im quite progressed on the build so far so I will drop in pics during my lunch break.
Polished the swingarm....bloody mess and hard going, it prob looks better in flesh than the pics
Got myself a wavy disk...oh I know how to live and also stripped the caliper, new seals with new satin black powder coat

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, here are a few more pics. I wanted to go german streetfighter style and bought this seat unit off ebay. I had to chop it about + extend the seat as you would need an arse as tiny as a supermodel to fit between.
This was the basic mock up (no laughing) before it went off for powder coating....as pics before I then polished the swing arm + I have cleaned the lump, re-shimmed and painted it black. I got hold of a set of usd forks, rebuilt and anodised black....lovely :)
The basics are now back from powder coating. I use a place called Aerocoat...they offer a good service with some lovely colours....this is where the build is at present. Vehicle Motor vehicle Transport Car Auto part

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Car

Countertop Room Tile Floor Flooring

Product Furniture

Spoke Rim Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part

Next weekend I will hit it hard and fingers crossed get it rolling, it should progress quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I had a look around the house and found a Mag from the 90's....me pulling wheelies for a streetfighter shoot, its an fZ750/1000. Also another FZ750/1000 that was on the streetfighter stand similar set up but far nicer, I was getting better at building bikes by this stage :)
I'm hunting for the mag with my GSXR & Blade...I hope to find them
Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycling Poster

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent the weekend in the garage.
In short fitted the frame onto the engine. I was unsure on painting the engine Matt black but I like it with all stainless bolts...simple things please simple minds :)
Its going together very easy, the dry build has helped prior to power coating.
It will be a big one next weekend fitting the single sided arm & fingers crossed the wheels

Product Vehicle Auto part Spoke Tire

Product Bumper Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior

Auto part Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Engine

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Looks great so far. Any logic to getting the frame coated before sorting the shock mount?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I dry built the single sided swingarm the offset VFR shock mount was the issue giving me agg, I made the decision that I would not get the frame shock mount cut and re-welded. Instead I have fitted a zx10r shock (virtually same spec as an fzr) which is narrower at the top and allowed the shock to be offset (7mm from memory) & miss the arm. The bottom rocker linkage was then milled off the same distance with a few extra spacers......hopefully I will get it all fitted this weekend and take some pics....pictures tell a thousand words :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I did the dry build the shock offset on a single sided arm was always the problem. I decided moving the top shock mounts where a last option for me. From past experience I know a zx10r shock is nearly a direct replacement for an exup, it has a narrow top mount approx. 7mm. This provided enough offset. The other option was getting the swing arm modified slightly (elongate the main shock hole).
I then had 7mm shaved off the bottom linkage to match, new adjustable tie bars (Stainless rose joints) a few spacers later...happy days.
Fingers crossed I will get it all fitted this weekend and get some pics.....it will make more sense then me dribbling on :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a great weekend, hit the bike hard, just bolting things together. Its a rolling chassis now.
My idea of using the zx10r shock worked well but the down side is the gas canister on the top of the shock lands where my battery box sits. After looking about a lithium battery may solve this....has anyone used one of these mounted on its side?
Anyway pics below... :)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Pretty please with callipers & discs. these where powder coated & rebuilt etc
Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Automotive tire

All the spacing to fit the swing arm in:-
Auto part Machine Machine tool Vehicle

Auto part Pipe Fuel line Engine Muffler

Yellow Auto part Muffler Vehicle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have bought a lithium battery and welded up the subframe (I butchered up the old exup one), its all a tight fit....excuse my big hex nut spacers....:) I will knock something better next weekend.
Fekking with the loom was painful but I got there in the end.

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

Auto part Electronics Electrical wiring Wire Technology

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have done a load more on the bike.
Made my own slash end pipe & also fitted new rearsets. The rearsets where off a GSXR1000 and I made adapters. The fitting was so close centre to centre so I offset tapped a piece of Ali round bar for the bottom fixing.....works perfect. Tackling the paintwork now along with making the brake lines....will be done soon!
Vehicle Auto part Bicycle part Tire Bicycle

Auto part Vehicle brake Rim Machine Brake

Vehicle Auto part Car Suspension Engine

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Wheel

1 - 20 of 33 Posts