Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fighters, I want to start working on the bike but I want to get a budget of how much I'm gonna spend. I have a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Now I realize that once you start turning stones you wont stop until every stone has been turned and worked on. All I have done so far as you can tell from the pictures in my album is taken off the fairings. Now, having said that, here is a list of what I would like to do. Im gonna start at the front of the bike;

1. I would like to change the head light to a Ducati Monster style or Vrod muscle style I will integrate the turn signals someway somehow. I know the next part of what I want to do will affect the headlight. So now to the next part.
2. I would like to change the forks, triple tree, and handle bar assembly from a ZR6X or something similar (I will be putting the mirrors on my bars). ANY suggestions on where to get and how much is too much would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
3.Next would be my radiator overflow tank, are there any ideas as to how i could hide that better?
4. Next, would be my header-muffler-exhaust setup anyone know the setup with the best performance?
5. Next, would be my pegs, can i move my controls back? If so is there a kit? Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated along with how i put the pegs back on once I take the plates off that the pegs are on?
6. Next would be my rear end, I would like to do an R6 rear end, on this one if any one has done it if yall could direct me to a thread or if you guys would have any idea what i have to cut, weld, delete or all of the above, like i've said before what ever you guys can offer as advice i would greatly appreciate it !!!
7. Last on body mods would probably be my swing arm, anyone know if i can put a ZR6X swing arm on my 650R?
8. And last but certainly not least any more performance upgrades for my bike would be great!!!

I apologize for the lengthy statement, and realize that i can do all the research myself but not only am i asking for a budget im also asking for advice from you fine people, the pros.

Thanks in advance

:robssmilie:

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
1. I would like to change the head light to a Ducati Monster style or Vrod muscle style I will integrate the turn signals someway somehow. I know the next part of what I want to do will affect the headlight. So now to the next part. Lots of cheap options on eBay, but you want something that has a decent lens with good light output - probably a minimum of $100 IMO
2. I would like to change the forks, triple tree, and handle bar assembly from a ZR6X or something similar (I will be putting the mirrors on my bars). ANY suggestions on where to get and how much is too much would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! again, eBay is your friend. it might be a little more involved if you want to swap the triples, as you could get into fitting different steering stems. $200-$300 for a good setup isn't unheard of if you're planning on keeping the wheel and brakes
3.Next would be my radiator overflow tank, are there any ideas as to how i could hide that better? Bottles, cans, mason jars, etc... i've got an old paintball CO2 tank as my overflow tank. just whatever you can find that you can run a hose into. No cost if you're smart.
4. Next, would be my header-muffler-exhaust setup anyone know the setup with the best performance? if Kawi's have remained consistent since my 97 ZX7R, you'll want a full setup with lots of back pressure. lots of reputable brands out there, but pricey. anywhere from $50 to $200 for a slip on to $1000 for a complete kit. you'll have to some work to your ECU if you start messing with the exhaust. wouldn't suggest for 650R based on a quick google search
5. Next, would be my pegs, can i move my controls back? If so is there a kit? Again any ideas would be greatly appreciated along with how i put the pegs back on once I take the plates off that the pegs are on? you can buy rearsets that move your pegs (and thus pedals) back and up an inch, there's chinese knockoffs that aren't that bad. a lot of people buy rearsets they like then make plates out of steel or aluminum to adapt it to their frames' mounting holes. I have aluminum rearsets that ran about $200 but they are specific for my bike. you'll have to figure out the pegs on your own
6. Next would be my rear end, I would like to do an R6 rear end, on this one if any one has done it if yall could direct me to a thread or if you guys would have any idea what i have to cut, weld, delete or all of the above, like i've said before what ever you guys can offer as advice i would greatly appreciate it !!! just gotta look, search for a 650R and look through threads, that's all I can tell you. even if its not the same tail, you can still learn from the people that did them. don't hesitate to PM people
7. Last on body mods would probably be my swing arm, anyone know if i can put a ZR6X swing arm on my 650R? check the swingarm swaps portion of the forum, should be able to find information there
8. And last but certainly not least any more performance upgrades for my bike would be great!!! just read a lot about your bike, find bike specific forums, etc. you'll get there in time
See above!

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Whatever you think you'll spend, double it.
Another very good bit of advice. I wasnt planning on spending nearly as much as I did on my SV. Things like cleaning supplies, hardware(nuts, bolts, etc.), paint or powdercoating...it all adds up to a LOT. Not to mention getting caught up in the "do it right the first time" or "if I'm gonna do this I may as well go all out" or "well I put a badass USD front end on it, it wouldnt make sense to NOT put a SSSA on it". Your mindset can change completely during a build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts