Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Posting from the hospital bed here so thimwill be short. Thinking about buying an already on the road goodmtomgo dual sport for when I get my leg in a few months. it needs to be very light. I'll take weight savings over horsepower or engine size on this one. so what aircooled dual sports are the lightest between 250 and 600cc's excluding Yamaha's? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dunno about your state but in a few states you can take a mxr and put lights on it. Take it to the DMV and get a street title for it. One of those would be tons lighter than any dual sport bike just a thought. Prolly a lot more maitainence though. I think the Kawi dual sport 250 is the lightest but its water cooled if I remember

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Got gs500 wheels kicking around? How about a dr350. Get the SE street model 94+ and you get e-start, about 30hp (well new atleast lol) and a ~270 dry weight....

But for real man.... Just buy a damn Drz400... :)

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I'm assuming he needs something with electric start, and something he can lower the seat height.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
kawi's watercooled 250sf made in like 2009.

on the cheap tho, dr 350 se or a drz-e that can be converted

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yamaha's are out because I simply hate Yamaha's. I've owned 3 and they were all pieces of shit. I don't want watercooled because I like my bikes engines to be a simple as possible. I don't need to lower the seat height. I'm 6' and have no issues hopping on a tall bike. I like the drz's of course and that dr350 looks pretty cool and I'm sure I could get gs500 rims cheap but what's the point of that? I'm guessing it gives you then sumo look and street bike tire options but it adds quite a bit of weight to an underpowered bike. am I close?

keep em coming though guys. I can't remember if it was the klr or the Dr that had the doo hickey problem with almost all the years but I wanna avoid that. I'd be happy with 40HP and no more than 300 pounds. is that an outrageous request for a stock dual sport?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Cast aluminum wheels are not going to be more weight, they should be lighter than the spoke wheels. I say should because I don't know the exact weight of a gs wheel but in general cast aluminum is lighter. Spokes are a stronger wheel for sm duty and the cast is more brittle, forged is the preferred non spoke wheel for strength but still spoke is stronger. (arguably I'm sure)

As far as the bike, 40 hp not really a problem.... With liquid cooling... :)

And are you talking #300 wet, because that is pretty light with a e start all that jazz road legal from the factory bike with the hp of a big displacement motor.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Yamaha's are out because I simply hate Yamaha's. I've owned 3 and they were all pieces of shit. I don't want watercooled because I like my bikes engines to be a simple as possible. I don't need to lower the seat height. I'm 6' and have no issues hopping on a tall bike. I like the drz's of course and that dr350 looks pretty cool and I'm sure I could get gs500 rims cheap but what's the point of that? I'm guessing it gives you then sumo look and street bike tire options but it adds quite a bit of weight to an underpowered bike. am I close?

keep em coming though guys. I can't remember if it was the klr or the Dr that had the doo hickey problem with almost all the years but I wanna avoid that. I'd be happy with 40HP and no more than 300 pounds. is that an outrageous request for a stock dual sport?
you want to buy my drz400? its an 02 S, kick and E start, lots of mods. fcr carb, mrd exhaust, high compression right now. case savers, clamps, fat bars, lots of other mods. Have a big bore 434 cylinder and piston ready to go on it. I sold off the SM stuff but thats easy enough to come by. Light it is not.... Its right at 300lbs which is about 15lbs lighter than stock even though ive added parts like the kick start. Of course its not air cooled.

what it looked like SM

if you want to go aircooled you are really looking at dr350, honda xr400 for the common ones. again not very light. the ktm250sxf i have is 217lbs and my 450 in SM trim is 260lbs...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cast aluminum wheels are not going to be more weight, they should be lighter than the spoke wheels. I say should because I don't know the exact weight of a gs wheel but in general cast aluminum is lighter. Spokes are a stronger wheel for sm duty and the cast is more brittle, forged is the preferred non spoke wheel for strength but still spoke is stronger. (arguably I'm sure)

As far as the bike, 40 hp not really a problem.... With liquid cooling... :)

And are you talking #300 wet, because that is pretty light with a e start all that jazz road legal from the factory bike with the hp of a big displacement motor.
I just threw 300# out there as a ballpark. I didn't do any scientific calculations to get a precise power to weight ratio or anything. just trying to narrow down the bikes.I think the slight increase in horsepower you might get with a water cooler bike is gonna be offset by how much more its gonna weigh. iim willing to bet the weight difference between the aircooled dual sport I'm looking for is gonna be negligeable in regards to it being a factory dual sport with all the wiring etc etc as you put it when you gotta factor in a radiator, hoses, sensors, wiring, coolant etc on the water cooler bikes you seem to be advocating. I'd prefer air cooled but a good deal is a good deal and light is light.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I just threw 300# out there as a ballpark. I didn't do any scientific calculations to get a precise power to weight ratio or anything. just trying to narrow down the bikes. I'd prefer air cooled but a good deal is a good deal and light is light.
Trust me man, I hear you on the air cooled motors. The only bike I've kept around for more than a couple of years is air cooled and low maintenance, because thats what I prefer...

How about the XR600R, comes in at ~272 dry and has right around the 40 horsepower mark (when new obv.).. I know in my area finding them with a street title is getting tough because of the age and when they are plated they get pricey. And another down side is the lack of e-start. If you can do kick only these are a good sm starting point. Seen a bunch done up really nice on smj...

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im definitely open to the Honda Xr's but I've only got one leg. can't use a kick start with a prosthetic above the knee. my disability is why it needs to be so plight. I got love for rotax engines but doubt I'll see a bike in my price range

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I have this terrible idea to put an xr650l motor into an xr650r chassis.

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Maybe, they can be found cheap here, not sure about there. Bare in mind Harley/armstrong/atk/ktm all used the engine in 350/500 604/636 versions plus more, 5 and 6 speed e start or kick. all parts fit so between all the variations it shouldnt be hard to put one together.

Just go for E start because fuck me you've not kicked a bike till you've kicked a high comp 636 with the 860 cam. Makes a cr500 seem like a 250.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a guy selling an 05 DRZ400S with 14k. all stock with a set of gs500wheels that have never been fitted so I'd have to do all the work there. nothing wrong with the bike. several newer parts. he wants $2000. should I pursue this? I know its water cooler but like I said a deals a deal. is 2k a steal for one of these?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
IMO $2k is a deal, I "stole" my 08 drz s/m with 1,100 miles on it for $4k when I bought it early spring 2010. When I sold it to fund the R6 build in 2012 or so, I sold it for $3,500 with about 8,000 miles. I haven't seen any drz's where I'm at, s or sm, hell even plated e models for under $2,500. I think it's a good deal. The bike is bullet proof and 14k is nothing if the guy has taken care of it.

You'll never ever regret buying a drz400 lol...

They aren't the best at anything... But they are good at everything! <Not my quoute lol>

1 - 20 of 35 Posts