Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I pressed my swingarm bearings in after painting it and now regret doing so. The paint is not holding up like I thought it would so I am want to powder coat the swingarm. I did the same with the swingarm linkage. :mad: I tried pressing out my new bearings and they crippled and the linkage is damaged.

So my question is...can my swingarm, with its bearings in place, be blasted and powder coated? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,081 Posts
So my question is...can my swingarm, with its bearings in place, be blasted and powder coated?
Not in my opinion. The bearings will collect all the blasting media in the grease. Then the grease will melt out during the baking process. You would need to clean out the bearings very well AND repack them if they were left in.

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doug, i thought that would be the likely answer. however, what about cerakote? that isn't oven cured as far as i know and doesn't need a primer so perhaps the paint would not need to be removed?

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,392 Posts
Thanks Doug, i thought that would be the likely answer. however, what about cerakote? that isn't oven cured as far as i know and doesn't need a primer so perhaps the paint would not need to be removed?
Feasible. Air cured cerakote has about 30% less hardness over oven cured but still durable. You can flash cure it low temp and probably not really bother the bearings too much unless they're sealed then of course I'd be concerned about those seals

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been in touch with a well respected firm in the UK i have used before who says no bearings will be harmed in the powder coating of the swingarm so that's a relief. Got a replacement linkage coming so will cost a few quid but coulda been a whole lot worse.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts