Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there is any interest in these ole bikes around here or not. But I figured I'd start a thread and see. I have no real plan or any direction really so who knows where this will head. Im in no rush as other projects come first so this could take a while.

Couple months ago my sister told me my little brother was selling his bike. I'd been following his build on IG and kinda liked the direction he was headed. He just lost interest and was onto something else I was told. Well after talking with him some over the next few months, we agreed on a price, and a road trip was in order. Got up there and the bike was a good bit different than I had expected, but still we made a deal. So I strapped her to the back of the Crown Vic and headed home. Yeah, its a Harley and yes its bloody heavy. Always liked them but never had a hard desire to buy one, until now.

Now I got the bike home and started piecing the pieces back together. Original plan was to finish putting her back together and ride it like my brother built it. But that has changed. I did manage to get it almost together

Eventually the OCD won and now I'm staring at bits and pieces. Luckily these bikes lend to all sorts of modifications so something cool may come outa this one day

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
That ain't no harley, that's a sportster....

Did you buy that so your old lady got something to ride....

:D :fu:

Do you know what year that motor is? Know of anything done to it? The collapsible push rod tubes would indicate adjustable push rods, not sure if any year evo sporty had those...

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,260 Posts
2003 and earlier you can put the heads on first and then drop the rods in place. 04' and later you can't do this with. Usually the easiest visual indicator for sporty id is if it has split tappets which would be 1990 or earlier

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That ain't no harley, that's a sportster....

Did you buy that so your old lady got something to ride....

:D :fu:
Nope, she's all mine :fu: :)

What I'm told is-
88 883 originally
1200 jugs
Wiseco pistons
86 cyl heads ( supposed higher compression )
Barnett clutch
And something about a jap stator I think ( memory not what it used to be)

That's about all I know.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,260 Posts
Nope, she's all mine :fu: :)

What I'm told is-
88 883 originally
1200 jugs
Wiseco pistons
86 cyl heads ( supposed higher compression )
Barnett clutch
And something about a jap stator I think ( memory not what it used to be)

That's about all I know.

Sounds like a good setup. Just missing some big nasty Andrews cams and you'll be all set. Maybe a 1250 kit? :robssmilie::thumbsup:

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
points for hardtail, bonus points if you don't add seat springs. That is my next build (true hard tail) ya know after my other 19 are done.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems I never updated this after blowing the bike apart and stripping the frame to bare metal. So yeah, I did that. Otherwise she's been sitting on my table like so for the past 2 months while I stare at her.

I've decided to chop the hardtailed section off and re-do it. Not really happy with how it was done so I might as well fix it now. Already have the right size tube sitting on the shop floor from some project that I can't remember and the proper dies. I'll reuse the axle plates and this shouldn't cost much of anything really other that argon and electricity. Win Win

After looking around the shop I realized I already had most everything needed to make a simple crude fixture. Made one many moons ago for a trike project so its just a matter of remembering the bits. Here's the rear axle plate fixture I threw together a couple days ago. Just need to make up something for the neck now. Already have some neck cones and threaded rod

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,260 Posts
Seems I never updated this after blowing the bike apart and stripping the frame to bare metal. So yeah, I did that. Otherwise she's been sitting on my table like so for the past 2 months while I stare at her.

I've decided to chop the hardtailed section off and re-do it. Not really happy with how it was done so I might as well fix it now. Already have the right size tube sitting on the shop floor from some project that I can't remember and the proper dies. I'll reuse the axle plates and this shouldn't cost much of anything really other that argon and electricity. Win Win

After looking around the shop I realized I already had most everything needed to make a simple crude fixture. Made one many moons ago for a trike project so its just a matter of remembering the bits. Here's the rear axle plate fixture I threw together a couple days ago. Just need to make up something for the neck now. Already have some neck cones and threaded rod

:rock:

Glad you're back on it

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Friday I made a go at this fixture for the neck.

My neck cones and threaded rod were 3/4"-16 already and I don't have that tap at home or work. So I tried to be smart and cheap and quick by turning the threaded rod down for a press fit into this block I whipped up. That didn't work so well though and I wound up ejecting the pieces outa the press, bending the rod.:mad: As luck would have it, nobody near by stocked that exact pitch rod either

Today I attacked it a little different and a bit more though out. Taped the block for 3/4"-10 and presto, I'm where I should have been Friday. I just need to bore the threads out of the cones now so they will slide over the threads

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bit more done this evening.

Got the fixture tacked to the table now all plumb and straight. Frames on and everything is set where I want it. Need to make something removable to center the middle of the frame now. Trying to keep all parts relatively simple as I have a tendency to over complicate and over build things :doh:

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,260 Posts
Just use those motor mount holes and make one that slides over the lower jig rails. If you don't want to bolt, I might have some quick release pins you can use

1 - 20 of 82 Posts