·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stipulations

Smaller than 700cc (300-650 preferable)
Must have front and rear disk brakes.

Nothing newer than the mid 80's.

Im selling my wifes car, and giving her my svt focus, so Im going to need something to putt around town on.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
iv always liked the suzuki gr650. though i think that has a drum rear. the gs700 and 750 had a monoshocked version for some years. but those would be more like a "new era" type cafe. id love to see an 83 suzuki gs750E cafe with a gsxr 1100 motor in it. USD front and. and a 180 rear tire. thats what i have planned for my gs frame at least haha

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea im going straight old school, and keeping a small displacement motor to keep it light.

Basically itll be for around town, so it doesnt need to be fast (I live in a small town).

Wanna do something like these.

·
746 Posts
SR500! I've got one, great bike.

Easy to find major parts because it shares an engine (minus the head) with SUPER common 70s Yamaha dirt bikes. Aftermarket stuff is plentiful. Anything from a few hop up parts and farkles, to DOHC alcohol fueled death machine conversions out of Japan. The popularity of them in Asia is insane as they still make them, so new and interesting mods come up all the time. It's got a single backbone frame so most any old school race tank will fit and some Thai companies make dozens of different seat kits that are about $120. The North American version has disc brakes front and rear, and shares forks with the XS650 so that's even more easy upgrades.

Grab one while its hot, they only sold them in the Americas for a few years and they are appreciating now. I got mine for a few hundred bucks from the original owner in eastern Washington, but now there are a lot of jokers trying to sell basket cases for $3000+. Even got into mine as a fun little run about just like you, but it soon turned into a mega project... so it goes.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Also why do u need dick brakes on something like that? Drum brakes would do more than enough for what ur describing and opens up a whole lot of other platforms

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
kz400,400,650

cb360,350,500,550,650 cm400

gs250t,400,500,550,650,gsf600

xs400,650,750(nice grunt triple)

take your pick. The possibilities are endless. If you want an easy peasy bolt on cafe stick to cb's mostly and use dimecity cycles and dotheton.com.

:winko: I've always got a whole messload of older parts too, zach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts