Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes and dudettes. So I've been borrowing my mates gpx250 since February and it's a nice bike and all but it belongs to someone else so I can't do anything to it so it makes me sad haha. But on Sunday I was browsing the local buy and sell and this bike came up.. Had to go check it out on a whim, after having a good look over it and taking it for a test ride I had to have it.
It's a 1998 suzuki gz250, based on the classic gn250. Same engine, similar frame, disc front and drum rear. Just heaps lower, bit longer, and styled like a Harley fat boy. Bit of rust in the usual places, oxidising on the motor, but it runs perfectly and starts first pop every time. Bars are bent from a drop, and forks may be very slightly bent as it's pulling harder to the left when I corner.
Anyway the plan is to do a frisco style bobber. Cut back the front and rear fenders (or replace them), lower the front end (already done it 2" but could do another 1" without it fouling anything), paint up the tank real nice, have a single high rise pipe, and either wide bullhorns or 12" ape hangers. It's gonna be a slow progress as I'm saving to go to London at the same time, but it'll happen eventually!

And because I can't start a new build thread without a sexy girl

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Chur cuzzy chur. Got the swingarm painted today, just need to finish off buffing the engine covers and it's time to at least partially reassemble. Really gotta get off my ass and take some photos, but you know how it is.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
question time... I'm keen on having a low sissy bar holding the rear fender on, but want to keep the rear suspension as is. would it bounce around too much? or is there a way to mount it where movement isn't too much of a hassle?

haven't done anything new other than swap the bars, got some wide bullhorns and they're wicked comfy. sorted out the cornering issue, turns out whomever had adjusted the chain last hadn't bothered to line up the adjusters on the swingarm so the rear wheel was out by one notch.. man what a difference straightening that up has made! now I just have to be super careful to not grind my heel/the pegs around corners hahaha

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts

Like any digger or chop like this, you'll just have to space the fender above the rear tire at rest enough that it doesn't hit under hard load.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
That would look goofy
Why? Not really any different than the way guys running rear shocks have been mounting their sissy bars on their soft chops for 50 years.

That was just a quick sketch to show where the mounts could be. The bar could be any height/angle and distance from the mounts.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts