Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Exactly what I'm doing Seb! White walls, some paint on the floor too (grey probably) and some carpet to go down on the cleaner areas, then get hold of a load of lights (as you say Yan, cheap-to-run LED retina-killers) and some more power sockets, and a new consumer unit and only then does evrything get moved in...

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
It's been a while (again), but now I'm in full time work it means I'll have a few pennies to spend on things. But also means that I haven't the same amount of spare time... not quite anyway, as at least now I'm not spendless countless hours chasing after work...
Anyways, the garage is something like close to being sorted, but for the fact that it's full of overflow from the house (including a cheap bath that the good lady wife decided was a bargain so worth buying, despite the fact that there's nowhere for it to go). But electrics are sorted, extra lights added (with a potential for some more) a work bench built (and another in progress) and I've also purchased an oil pressure regulator to go inline with the oil feed for the turbo. Although the dust cover hasn't actually been taken off the Zed since the last post...

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I tried to do something, I really did...

After a lot of rooting through boxes and trying to find the 'safe place' where I put the bits that still need to be fitted, I finally found the Mikuni HSR...

Buoy'd with enthusiasm, I also found the clutch pack, and whipped off the cover to get it fitted...
Hang on, there's one in there already? How did that happen? I don't remember fitting it...

Hey ho, at least I can fit the clutch lock-up while the cover is off, right? That'll be a no. The lock-up is for a five bolt clutch, not the six bolt that I have...

I'm now wondering if I've got my lock-ups mixed up, as I'm sure I have another one somewhere that is supposedly for a GSX-R, maybe I got them confused? The problem is, I can't find it as it is also in a 'safe place'...

This isn't a case of one step forward, one step back. But more a case of several steps sideways...

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
With the stator bolted and thread-locked into the engine cover, it was time to add the rotor, which on the Zeds bolts onto the starter ring gear and thus the starter clutch. Deep joy, and yet more of the Safe Place Syndrome...
I can't find the ring gear, the starter clutch, or the idle gear the sits between the ring gear and the starter motor. Bastard!
I looked through every single box in the garage to find it, but no luck. Which is odd, as I distinctly remember which cupboard it was in before I moved, and I've found the other stuff that was stashed with it...

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
Some of the shite in that box is random leftover spares from other projects, but it also contained this, the starter system's idler gear! Yay, proper pleased that I found this as it's one of the few parts that aren't available from Kawasaki any more...

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Having gone through the box of shite that had the idler gear, I also found the ring gear too. Actually, I found the ring gear two... there's a pair of them ! (How the feck did that happen? The same as the clutch baskets, and the alternator stators how did I end up with two?)

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
It's a similar style to loads of fittings, just a bit bigger. Worst case scenario I'll make up a gasket from o-ring material glued together (I have some o-ring rubber somewhere), but I'd rather have the full gasket that just slips straight into place and won't suffer the bodges of one I made myself...
I seem to recall that it is a Yamaha fitment, but I could be very wrong there...

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
I relented and bought a gasket for an early Z650, which hasn't got the 'cross bars' but is just a straight oval. Maybe it'll do the trick...
In other news, I decided to fit the starter ring gear, alternator etc, at which point I realised that I couldn't find the starter clutch, which seemed odd as I had it just a couple of weeks earlier, at the point at which I couldn't find the ring gear... As has been mentioned in another of my build threads, I'm sure some wee bastard is creeping into my garage over night and hiding things... :angry:

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
So, now that I've managed to source all (I hope) of the starter clutch parts that I couldn't find, I can actually get some more work done. Oh, what's that, there's Christmas shopping to do? And decorating? And central heating that doesn't work?... FML...

261 - 280 of 316 Posts