Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

281 - 300 of 316 Posts

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
I've had a a couple of minor distractions, one of which will give some more comfort for the garage, which is a good thing...
(it's installed inside and painted now, it was outside to burn off the original paint)

Attachments

·
The Polish Prince
947 Posts
Kwakanut's video in his turbo Zed thread has given me some much-needed inspiration, I NEED to get some work done on mine...
You're welcome!! :drinks:

Reactions: MDM

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,548 Posts
Kwakanut's video in his turbo Zed thread has given me some much-needed inspiration, I NEED to get some work done on mine...
Same. I’ve got mine out the trailer finally and into the garage so thats a start yah?

Reactions: MDM

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
Er, sorry...

So, I pulled the covers off to look at what I've still got left to do. First off was looking at all the starter gear gubbins. I'd bought all the bits I needed (needle roller bearing, starter clutch refub kit, etc) but hadn't realised what shabby condition both of the starter ring gears I had were in - rusty and skaggy, and in need of a good clean. So that I did. Also cleaned up the idler gear between the starter motor and ring gear, as that was truly horrible with bits of hard material in between the gears and teeth, which was only what I can assume to be bits of magnet from a disintegrated alternator?

Attachments

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,548 Posts
Done anything with yours Adam?...
I'd not forgotten about mine just got distracted with other stuff. No change there then... Ooh look, a squirrel!...:run:
Oh look a butterfly! :run:

Yeah um...well its been transported to my buddy gregg’s but I need to do some work on it and the Rona is keeping me at home for the most part nowadays, so No. :(

Maybe I should though

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
Maybe I should though
Yes, you should! :D But stay safe and keep your social distances...

Got the starter clutch and ring gear all bolted together last night with the new rolelrs, springs and needle roller bearing, bolted it onto the rotor and slid it onto the end of the crank. Went to bolt it on and....

... where's the fucking bolt? Arses! :mad:

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Anyways, it seems that the stripped bolt was not down to my ham-fistedness, not this time.
The aftermarket alternator rotor apparently needs to have the bolt shortened by about 4mm, and also needs a different thrust washer at the rear (one from an earlier 1100, with a smaller OD than the one for the 1100 Unitrak). The thrust washer, upon inspection, had been forced into a cone shape because it wasn't sitting in the recess at the rear of the ring gear, as the pic here shows...

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
New thrust washer purchased, and waited for, received, fitted and all back together again.
And then, once the starter and alternator gubbins was all back together, I happened to find a glass jar, containing some bits...

... yep, the very bits that I had fucked about trying to find, then ordering (wrongly), re-ordering (correctly), waiting for and then fitting...

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
This was followed by more fucking about trying to get the sprocket cover and clutch actuator fitted correctly, with some issues as the cover wasn't fitting flush to the crank cases... eventually traced down to the actuator not aligning with a slot in the cover. With this done, all was fitted, and the exhaust also bolted back on and lock-wired nice and neatly.
At which point I turned to the oiling system and realised that the exhaust would have to come back off again so I could but the oil return fitting into the turbo... Time and motion, time and motion...

281 - 300 of 316 Posts