Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
could you not space them out like you can on a regular set of forks? maybe make up some spacers? If you wanted to go with the fork cap extensions, you could probably have a set machined up cheaper than you could buy them

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I wish I had a lathe...lol. Do you now anyone that can? I'm assuming your exhaust is scraping? I was afraid of poor ground clearance so I sold the front end that I had originally bought for my bike and just upgraded to the 900f front end

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Very true...what about running a lower profile tire? If it didn't rub under hard braking or bumps then I think it would be fine under normal riding conditions. Plus it just looks...right...the way it sits now. But I could be a bit biased where these bikes are concerned.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a bit of an idea. Wanted y'alls input on it. I'll try to explain in a way that makes sense :

What if I made a male/female slip on extender? Something the pinches on just like the trees do now.

Imagine the top, or male, portion that just slips up into the upper yoke and then you clamp it down. Just like you would a normal fork tube.

Now on the bottom part of that piece have a female "receptacle" for the fork tube to actually slide up into. Then split a portion of that so it could be held with a pinch bolt. Just like stock. Id have to weld a lug on there to have a place to do the pinch bolt, but that's no bid deal. Not sure if I'd even thread it for the pinch bolt of just let the bolt pass through and nut the other side.

Bore a hole in the upper portion for access to the preload adjusters. Or whatever that twisty thing up top is.

Should I use stainless for strength, or use aluminum to save weight? No more material than the factory put into the top yokes I think aluminum would do fine. Definitely save some weight over SS.

I have enough on my bottom yoke to slide the legs through as much as 4". Obviously, I'm not gonna go that far. 1.5" would be perfect. 2" at the absolute Max.

So whaddya think? Safe? Stupid? Bad idea? Or should I get to making chips?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I wouldn't think that it would be a problem as long as you don't go more than 2". As long as its pretty solid so the fork tubes have good support. I would definitely make it out of aluminum. I'm sure some of our resident engineers will speak up (I'm majoring in mechanical engineering but these guys have way more experience than I do )

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts