Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a few more inches of travel over the stock stabilizer I have.
It's designed to mount from the fork tube, or the triple rather, to a tab protruding from the centerline of the neck on the frame. I want to mount it on the side of the frame, extending along the length of the bike onto the fork tube (like Mattson's)
This, of course, means I need more room to play with on the damper. I didn't measure, but I'd say at least 2, maybe 3" minimum.
Anybody know off the top of their head of any bikes, or aftermarket dampers, that have extremely long travel lengths? My thinking is I'll find the longest one I can (shut up), drill the frame-side mount where it makes sense (I have a spot I'd like to put it), and mount it centered in travel with the forks straight if that all makes sense.
And I want to do this in the next 24 hours.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
RacingGeek had a long throw Ohlins damper that came off my FZR1000. PM him and see if he still has it

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.
Yan that one you linked looks like it'd do the trick.
CK I sent him a PM.

I may just call up Ohlins and say "send me the longest-travel damper you have."

·
Super Moderator
5,658 Posts
Do take into consideration that when your forks are at full lock to the right (or whichever side you mount it on) the tail end will stick out like an albino in Harlem. In my case it doesn't matter cause it still stays within the confines of the cage but without one you could possibly skewer your leg on it if, say, a student girl just happens to pull up in front of you... Helps if you can put the mounting point towards the back end of the cylinder part.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do take into consideration that when your forks are at full lock to the right (or whichever side you mount it on) the tail end will stick out like an albino in Harlem. In my case it doesn't matter cause it still stays within the confines of the cage but without one you could possibly skewer your leg on it if, say, a student girl just happens to pull up in front of you... Helps if you can put the mounting point towards the back end of the cylinder part.
Yeah, I've considered that, and I'm not too worried about it. Side mount steering dampers are known for bending/breaking anyway, so if something were to violently jerk the front end right (like an impact with a teenage girl's car) I'd expect the shaft to fail rather than poke out the back end and impale my knee.

I don't have it anymore. I think I traded it for some wheels.
Well fine, I didn't want your steering damper anyway!
:drinks:

What's it like to have a wallet like that?
Expensive :D

At the end of the day it comes down to perspective. My time is worth more to me than my money; The latter can be replaced but the former, once gone, can never be earned back. I'd rather shell out a bit of cash for something I know will work... the next week I would have spent researching stock steering damper lengths, settling on a candidate, and finding one for a good price is time better spent riding, enjoying time with the people I care about, and doing things that make me happy.
Life is short, and trust me... it isn't going to be your bank account that flashes before your eyes as the light fades.

I got one here ya can have Mac' tis longer thana Rhinos whang mate .

18" needs seals ifin that's something ya can do ( I know ya can tho LOL)

Lemme know an d I will toos it down to ya .
PM responded to!

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Yeah, I've considered that, and I'm not too worried about it. Side mount steering dampers are known for bending/breaking anyway, so if something were to violently jerk the front end right (like an impact with a teenage girl's car) I'd expect the shaft to fail rather than poke out the back end and impale my knee.

Well fine, I didn't want your steering damper anyway!
:drinks:

Expensive :D

At the end of the day it comes down to perspective. My time is worth more to me than my money; The latter can be replaced but the former, once gone, can never be earned back. I'd rather shell out a bit of cash for something I know will work... the next week I would have spent researching stock steering damper lengths, settling on a candidate, and finding one for a good price is time better spent riding, enjoying time with the people I care about, and doing things that make me happy.
Life is short, and trust me... it isn't going to be your bank account that flashes before your eyes as the light fades.

PM responded to!
ah yes I'm awake now Mac :(

Lemme pic at ya inna few .

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I happened to be at the parts store for something unrelated... and one of the guys happened to walk by and ask me if I was here to order the Ohlin's (they all know me there)... and I hadn't had any coffee yet and wasn't putting a lot of energy into the whole thinking thing... and, well, it'll be here later this week :D

I appreciate your offer either way Robbo :drinks:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts