Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to let go of the z1000, and pick up a bike that I have always wanted.

This bike will probably get me many tickets. I never thought I would see speed bumps as mini jumps. Now I search for things to jump, dirt roads, etc.

Its also fun having a bike that has no kickstand, no electric start, and no gauges.

The only downside is that its an SX, which means 4 speed. Luckily you can drop in the gears and associated parts to make it a 6 speed. I will definitely be doing that the first time I have to open the motor.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very sexy! Gotta love the ktms. I've been told gearing them up does wonders if you don't want to go for the 6 speed too soon.

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very sexy! Gotta love the ktms. I've been told gearing them up does wonders if you don't want to go for the 6 speed too soon.
its got a 40 tooth rear on it. the smallest i have found online is a 37, which I thought about getting. Not sure if it would be enough of a change to matter. Plus, it looks like I am near the max on my axle adjusters. I could remove a link though to make up for it.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
After purchasing my '07 DRZ400S I found that anything is a road, any angle is a jump, and any chance the cops ever had of catching me in the act of high speed antics is gone. I can ride a 3 mile wheelie, back it in from nearly top speed, and roll up on a stop sign on the front wheel, all without ever breaking 90mph.

I've never had so much fun on a "street" registered bike. It's like a 450 MX'er with lights! :D

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After purchasing my '07 DRZ400S I found that anything is a road, any angle is a jump, and any chance the cops ever had of catching me in the act of high speed antics is gone. I can ride a 3 mile wheelie, back it in from nearly top speed, and roll up on a stop sign on the front wheel, all without ever breaking 90mph.

I've never had so much fun on a "street" registered bike. It's like a 450 MX'er with lights! :D
I know what you mean! Self control goes out the window on these things

LOL mine is a 525 mx'er with lights. The PO re-titled it!

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grats on the purchase. Love my 690 so much. Any plans? Or just ride the shit out of it?

Nate

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Main plans are to get it cleaned up and fix its little problems. Then the 6 speed when time and money allow. I really want to do the 6 speed so i can put a bigger rear sprocket on it but still have good top end.

Jealous.

Though it would never of made it into the back of a truck if I had bought it.
Haha i figured someone would have said that, but an hour+ drive with no lights and night approahing didnt seem like the best idea.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
After all of us went down between '07 and '10 my riding buddies and I ended up getting away from the super sports and huge street bikes.

I have a DRZ, and they bought these recently:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I want one so bad if my buddy will ever let his LC4 go I'm buying no matter what I have to sell

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Real nice supermoto!
I sold my drz/sm to fund my project...And because if I had kept it I wouldn't have a license right now lol! Do you're self a favor and ride this bike in the rain. I've never laughed so hard on a bike in my life when hot shoe'n every single little curve in the road!

I'm on supermotojunkie too, if I see any good parts come up in the classifieds I'll give you a shout...

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Real nice supermoto!
I sold my drz/sm to fund my project...And because if I had kept it I wouldn't have a license right now lol! Do you're self a favor and ride this bike in the rain. I've never laughed so hard on a bike in my life when hot shoe'n every single little curve in the road!

I'm on supermotojunkie too, if I see any good parts come up in the classifieds I'll give you a shout...
Haha it just quit raining here so i took it out and was doing clutch dumps infront of the house. It was awesome. I didnt have any gear on but a dirtbike helmet so i didnt try sliding any corners.

Cool! I think i signed up on smj, but dont go on there often. Like i need any more forum addictions lol.
Thanks for looking out

·
wtf?
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice find! At least( i think) the sx of that vintage was E and kick start i though. Is your kick only?

anyone who sees this and has a renewed interest in SM my drz is for sale ;)
To my knowledge, sx designated a kick only, 4 speed, and lightened rotating mass. Apparently the 03 in particular had the lightest rotating mass of any of the KTM RFS engines and supposedly a hotter cam.

Luckily, its a KTM RFS, so its completely modular with all the other models of tthe RFS era. I could add e start, i could add 5th and 6th with a choice of wide or close ratio, and i could even update it to the newer 04-06 bodywork/seat/tank if i wa ted to.

Everyone i know who has had a drz, has loved them. They are way more practical then an actual converted dirtbike too

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
To my knowledge, sx designated a kick only, 4 speed, and lightened rotating mass. Apparently the 03 in particular had the lightest rotating mass of any of the KTM RFS engines and supposedly a hotter cam.

Luckily, its a KTM RFS, so its completely modular with all the other models of tthe RFS era. I could add e start, i could add 5th and 6th with a choice of wide or close ratio, and i could even update it to the newer 04-06 bodywork/seat/tank if i wa ted to.

Everyone i know who has had a drz, has loved them. They are way more practical then an actual converted dirtbike too
the only sx525 ive had first hand knowledge of had Estart on it but i was never sure if it was original or not. seen in the background. It was a buddys bike and i was just letting him keep it here to get it out of his 3rd story apartment:)

Yeah my drz is great as a trail bike, street bike, track bike etc. It is the swiss army knife. After riding real 450 race bikes on the track I just don't get the enjoyment out of street riding knowing how little im actually pushing it. I want something about 50lbs lighter and a little more power for some more serious off road riding. I've been thinking of converting my rmz but i want to use it for MX and dont really want to add a battery, lighting coil and lights to it if it will see track time...

You will probably be fine with the 4 speed. unless something drastic happens to the motor then why not right:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congrats. KTM's kick ass. I owned a 2001 KTM Duke II, fantastic bike. I've been looking for another Supermoto myself. I love that they now have decent dual sport rubber in 17"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts