Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Look what the cat dragged in (Tagged KTM content)

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Deftone 
#1 ·
So I decided to let go of the z1000, and pick up a bike that I have always wanted.

This bike will probably get me many tickets. I never thought I would see speed bumps as mini jumps. Now I search for things to jump, dirt roads, etc.

Its also fun having a bike that has no kickstand, no electric start, and no gauges.

The only downside is that its an SX, which means 4 speed. Luckily you can drop in the gears and associated parts to make it a 6 speed. I will definitely be doing that the first time I have to open the motor.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#4 ·
After purchasing my '07 DRZ400S I found that anything is a road, any angle is a jump, and any chance the cops ever had of catching me in the act of high speed antics is gone. I can ride a 3 mile wheelie, back it in from nearly top speed, and roll up on a stop sign on the front wheel, all without ever breaking 90mph.

I've never had so much fun on a "street" registered bike. It's like a 450 MX'er with lights! :D

#8 ·
Main plans are to get it cleaned up and fix its little problems. Then the 6 speed when time and money allow. I really want to do the 6 speed so i can put a bigger rear sprocket on it but still have good top end.

Jealous.

Though it would never of made it into the back of a truck if I had bought it.
Haha i figured someone would have said that, but an hour+ drive with no lights and night approahing didnt seem like the best idea.

#11 ·
I want one so bad if my buddy will ever let his LC4 go I'm buying no matter what I have to sell

#12 ·
Real nice supermoto!
I sold my drz/sm to fund my project...And because if I had kept it I wouldn't have a license right now lol! Do you're self a favor and ride this bike in the rain. I've never laughed so hard on a bike in my life when hot shoe'n every single little curve in the road!

I'm on supermotojunkie too, if I see any good parts come up in the classifieds I'll give you a shout...

#14 ·
Haha it just quit raining here so i took it out and was doing clutch dumps infront of the house. It was awesome. I didnt have any gear on but a dirtbike helmet so i didnt try sliding any corners.

Cool! I think i signed up on smj, but dont go on there often. Like i need any more forum addictions lol.
Thanks for looking out

#16 ·
To my knowledge, sx designated a kick only, 4 speed, and lightened rotating mass. Apparently the 03 in particular had the lightest rotating mass of any of the KTM RFS engines and supposedly a hotter cam.

Luckily, its a KTM RFS, so its completely modular with all the other models of tthe RFS era. I could add e start, i could add 5th and 6th with a choice of wide or close ratio, and i could even update it to the newer 04-06 bodywork/seat/tank if i wa ted to.

Everyone i know who has had a drz, has loved them. They are way more practical then an actual converted dirtbike too

#18 ·
Congrats. KTM's kick ass. I owned a 2001 KTM Duke II, fantastic bike. I've been looking for another Supermoto myself. I love that they now have decent dual sport rubber in 17"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.