Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RUST REMOVER
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys, been a while since I posted... I'm good now for the most part, kids drugs are bad. Anyway I still have my street bikes and xs650 I havent touched in a long time, but Im looking for something light and preferably 2 stroke to make into a street rider. I dont know the first thing about dirt bikes but I've been int working on my own streetbikes for a good while. I wanna build something clean mean and shiney. Something real fast and light, power wheelies all that. Something cheap, light, aluminum frame usd forks, spokes, turned up motor is what I wanna do. Help the kid out

·
RUST REMOVER
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
super moto i guess you call it?

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
As for cheap & 2 stroke, the 97-07 Honda CR250's came with an aluminum frame.

I think the Yamaha YZ250 is aluminum from starting 06-current, but may be a bit more spendy.

If you wan't something with more power, then a CR500 or KX500 would fit the bill, but it would be steel frame.

Unless you want to drop the cheap part of it, then you can get a Service Honda.

http://www.servicehonda.com/

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
steel frame cr250s from the 90s are beasts. the geometry is decent on them. anything 89 on up in good shape dont underestimate.

green and blue your best going about 96-97 and up chassis' got a lot better around then. still steel but decent. confidence inspiring ergos and handling.
kawasaki was never the lightest. Much like zx7-r's but they had a nearly unmatched "everything is in exactly the right place" weapon like feel that was enough to win. Yamaha was touted much the same around then. Smooth and confidence inspiring. Aside from owning a 97 kx myself the amount of times I read kawasaki and confidence inspiring in the same sentence is definitely enough for me to remember the 2 as synonymous
I remember suzuki got themselves a beast of an rm250 motor in 99 (I was big into mx those days racing and reading all the mags) close to 50 hp stock. after kinda bringing up the rear on dyno charts up until then.
And ktm 250sx in 2001 also made somewhere near to 50 hp stock and their whole lineup was really improved around then.

those are some of the big leaps I remember in 250 2 stroke-dom of the 90s. Honda had the steel chassis setup perfected way before everyone else (think fireblade vs other superbikes of the time...also remember jeremy mcgrath) then when everybody else finally sleeked out and slimmed down honda was like pow aluminum frame bitches. So anyway I imagine anything after said years is pretty decent as well. Also the first few years of aluminum frame hondas got some complaints about being too rigid, vibey and fatigue inducing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts