Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Most of my riding will be non aggressive city riding with an occassional trip to the local twisties. I'd like something that will stick and give me at least 6000 miles of decent ridability.

-Also, which profile would be best, the 55 or the 60's. I'd like a round tire that doesn't have that ubrupt angle at the edges.

-I plugged in 180 tire on ebay and there seems to be many choices at different prices. I'm looking for less than $100 shipped as a budget.

-I know a few ppl with take offs, if the tread is decent, would any 180/55 or 180/60 be fine? I know there are manufacture dates, but I have not seen one on the tire I have now or is it just on race spec tires?

Sorry to fit many questions into one post, it's just better to get all my concerns out rather than piece them in. Thank you for reading this and for any responses you may have.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
brands and ratings I see:

3 TOMAHAWK 180/55ZR17

Dunlop Sportmax D207 180 / 55ZR

DUNLOP ELITE 180/60/16 74H MOTORCYCLE TIRE 180 60 16

Pirelli Dragon Rain Race Tire. 180/55 R17 SCR1 (blue - soft) with a (D0603) date stamp

SHINKO 180/55-17 005

Metzeler Z6 RT 180/557R 17 "C" 0304-0033

Avon Tyres/Tires VENOM AM42 180/60 R16 74H

Bridgestone Battlax Motorcycle Tire 180/55/ZR17 TYPE-4

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
i dont see any good tires on there.

My concern here is there is one thing (two if you wanna get technical) between your bike and the road. Its your tires. now if you wanna cheap out on the one thing that keeps you connected to the road thats your perogative...but when your tire slips out when you DO decide to hit some twisties....your gonna see 929_adam in your head going "i told you so"

:twocents:

if your shopping online you should be able to find a good tire for 150. we like you vespa. hang around. buy good tires.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I have to say, I've been running Shinko's trouble free for several years now...a GREAT deal IMO. I've done track/stunt/street, pretty much all of it on these tires and I'm still getting great life outta them. They've got my vote!

Shinko IS Yokohama FYI, just new ownership. Same factory, moulds, compounds, everything...just new name.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard good dtuff about the Michellin Road Pilots and the Metzeler Z6's. I've read mixed reviews for the Shinkos. I'm not going to cheap out, I just through a price to avoid some $500 pirellis.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
i got a set of metzler m1 sportecs for 220 shipped to my house last year...deals can be found. thats not the best tire. but WAAAAAAY better than a dunlop 207 or a tomahawk.

im thinking of going diablo or pilot powers this year....mainly because i work at the dealership and hopefully will get a good discount, although i havent looked em up yet, so i may be online shopping again!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I've sold Shinko's for a long time and have never had an issue...Metzeler Z6's are fucking AWESOME tires, but you'll only really appreciate them if you get matching front and rears. It's our most popular sport touring tire. It's a bit harder so you get better mileage, but if you do serious track riding it may not be the best for you.

As well, stick with the 180/55...If Suzuki could have made the bike handle better with a different profile tire, they would have.

PS. Z6s are GREAT GREAT GREAT in the rain.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
ive run alot of tires and the pilot power is my favorite,but im gunna be really short on $$$$$$ so with the recomendation of endo im gunna run a shinko

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna have to see what I have on the front, there's a whole lot of tire left up there so I don't need to replace that for maybe another 2 seasons unless I go nuts this year. If I can get a good deal on front and back I'll get the Metzler Z6's

Whats the difference between the Michelin Pilot powers and the Road pilots?

·
410 Posts
I have almost always run Dunlops...people seem to either love them or hate them. I am running the 208s on my 636 and have never had a problem. I have the 207s on my fighter, but I plan on getting rid of them soon.
My suggestion is to check Cycle Gear for their specials. I just picked up a 180 rear and 120 front 208 for $160, but that was in store, shipping would have been a little more. They are a http://www.cyclegear.com
I also agree, you only have 2 tires on the road...I would go with the best, not neccesarily the cheapest!
And no, I don't trust the tomahawks...they are re-treads.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
PIRELLI DIABLO CORSA III

STREET COMPOUND IN THE MIDDLE, RACE COMPOUND ON THE EDGE

My rear has 6000 Hayabusa miles on it, including 8 hours of track riding and it's just barely getting to where I would replace it.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,631 Posts
haelo said:
PIRELLI DIABLO CORSA III

STREET COMPOUND IN THE MIDDLE, RACE COMPOUND ON THE EDGE

My rear has 6000 Hayabusa miles on it, including 8 hours of track riding and it's just barely getting to where I would replace it.

thats what i was trying to think of...the DUAL COMPOUND. thatd be great for ya vespa.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
The Corsa III's are awesome.

They're actually three compounds. The problem with the two compounds is that you'll be coming up on the throttle and all of a sudden be on a harder tire. The Corsa III's don't have that problem.

·
Registered
387 Posts
929_adam said:
i got a set of metzler m1 sportecs for 220 shipped to my house last year...deals can be found. thats not the best tire. but WAAAAAAY better than a dunlop 207 or a tomahawk.

im thinking of going diablo or pilot powers this year....mainly because i work at the dealership and hopefully will get a good discount, although i havent looked em up yet, so i may be online shopping again!
Go with the pilot powers bro, you won't be disappointed. I usually run Power race's, supercorsa pros, or racetechs if i'm desperate.... PP's are the only road tyres i've found that didn't melt and shred and lasted more than 1500miles.

·
enrico vespa said:
race on the sides sound good.
Hey 'Rico on my SV I find Diablo Rear and Corsa front is a brilliant combo for a round profile pair on a V twin. The Corsa is a softer compound for plenty of "feel" from the front and the Diablo is super grippy in the twisties and does good mileage too.

I am sorta toying with the idea of trying a pair of Pilot2's with the harder wearing center compound and soft edges, but I hear that bcuz they are a more triangular profile the bike feels like it is dropping (instead of rolling) into the turn...cud be unsettling 'till ya get used to this change of handling characteristic?

I may be prepared to live with that tho as the harder center compound will take the V twin power delivery better than some and mebbe add a couple more thousand miles to the life of the tire.

BTW: If you have tire pairs, it's not uncommon to use two rears with the same front imho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts