Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '86 FJ1200, which uses a 3/8" fuel line. I'm finding that 3/8" is so rare these days, my local dealers don't even carry hose that size. However, that's not my problem. I can order fuel hose online.

I'm trying to find an inline fuel filter, and that's the tough part. I need a filter with a 90 degree inlet/outlet orientation, as opposed to straight through. I have very limited space under the tank, and the fuel hose routing has lots of bends, making most straight through filters an almost impossible fit.

It needs to be small, and be sized to fit a 3/8 hose. I'm finding nothing. If anybody has a bike with 3/8" fuel hose, and you've found a small inline filter, point me in the direction of where you got it.

Thanks

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts
G

·
Yes your fuel line is 10mm but why fit a filter as there is one in the tap & the only other thing you should really need is a clean tank!

Inline filters tend to cause more fuel delivery problems than anything else in my experiance

·
Registered
740 Posts
You can just replace the 3/8 line with more conventional 5/16 or 1/4". Warm it up a little and you can slip it over a 3/8 barb pretty easily. Even at full chat a 1.2L engine does not need fuel line that large, hence why it is rarely seen now. My 1200 sportster is pure gravity feed, through an inline filter(no tap filter), and 5/16" line is just fine.

If the fuel line is going on 30 years old, it should probably be replaced anyway.

Most auto stores carry a selection of various filters, I've seen straights, 90* ones, ones with the in/outs stacked on top of each other. Otherwise, try Dennis Kirk or J&P cycles.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Yes your fuel line is 10mm but why fit a filter as there is one in the tap & the only other thing you should really need is a clean tank!

Inline filters tend to cause more fuel delivery problems than anything else in my experiance

+1 on that, when ever I am getting debris in the carbs the first thing I do is pull the petcock and clean out the tank as good as I possibly can. Only time I run a fuel filter in most cases are on dirtbikes where sand and silt get everywhere all the time and it's just far easier to refuel in the lot before heading back into the woods without wasting time in the hot summer sun making sure everything is squeaky clean.

And the only time I run them on street bikes is when the petcock is damaged and the screen is missing, or the tank is rusty and shedding shit into the fuel. I am "ratty" after all, so I will put a band-aid on a bullet wound and just keep riding most of the time. :D

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
look at universal lawn equipment filters, they come in all shapes, sizes and outlet configurations.

+ 1 on inline filters tending to cause delivery problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At some point, a previous owner coated the tank, and did it poorly. I'm going to clean all that crap out as best I can, but my concern is little bits of gunk that are left over. The in-tank screen is currently damaged, so I need to decide to either replace it or remove it. Given the choice between an internal screen clogging or an external filter clogging, I'd rather just remove the internal and deal with the external.

I've bought a few filters at my local Autozone, and returned them all. There's just no way to fit them under the tank. They're all too big. I've looked at small equipment filters, but they're all made for a much smaller line. I've thought about using a smaller hose, and stretching it over the barb on the tank and carbs, but I'm uncomfortable putting that much stress on a line carrying flammable liquid between my legs. Seems a disaster waiting to happen.

Ideally I was looking for something like this...

The inlet and outlet are too small though. Maybe I'll look for a couple reducers, but I really don't like having a bunch of clamps and fittings and stuff in a fuel line...just more places where it could leak.

The search continues I suppose.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Just goes to show that we all have different opinions and experiences. I dont doubt the credibility of the guys who've posted up here at all, but I never run without an inline fuel filter. But I only use paper element filters. They actually filter. The sintered elements like posted above let a lot of trash through. Just my personal experience, of course.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Just goes to show that we ask have different opinions and experiences. I dont doubt the credibility of the guys who've posted up here at all, but I never run without an inline fuel filter. But I only use paper element filters. They actually filter. The sintered elements like posted above let a lot of trash through. Just my personal expertise, of course.

I've actually never seen true proof one way or the other even though I'm not a huge filter guy myself, and the stories I've even heard of filters restricting flow were few and far between. My YZ has a paper element as well as everything else sporting a filter that I own. Never really had luck with the cone type ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts